Chapter Sixty-Five

Ghost

"I'm sorry"

"He did as best he could"

"I'm so sorry"

A voice woke me, it took all of my energy to really wake up. I blinked, squinting as light shone in through the tiny window.

The room was suddenly much colder. I rubbed my face on my shoulder the best I could, grimacing.

"Daya" my heart jumped and my eyes widened.

I gasped, tears immediately filled my eyes. Salem. He was across from me on his knees, just a few feet away.

"I'm so sorry" he whispered, there was so much pain and sadness on his face. I couldn't believe my eyes. I was saved! There must be a million guards out here. They probably stormed the place. They found me. They did it. Salem did it.

He went on all fours, dropping his forehead to the ground, bowing as low as possible. Then I noticed the door was shut behind him and still locked. My eyebrows went together in confusion.

"Why are you in here? What's happening?" I spoke hoarsely and he lift his head suddenly, eyes wide. He looked behind him, then back to me. Our eyes met and my heart felt.. no relief. This didn't feel right.

"Salem" I whispered, my bottom lip trembled. He had that glow. The same glow that Julia and my mom had.

"You can see me?.. I'm-" he whispered, appearing directly in front of me.

"Don't .. dont!" I sobbed suddenly, screaming in agony. My head was spinning. My chest burned with pain.

"You're not dead!" I screamed, my whole body began to shake. I shook my head furiously. This wasn't real. I was still asleep. I had to still be asleep. A door in the distance slammed. I couldn't stop sobbing. I slammed my head onto the ground. I needed to wake up. I had to wake up.

"What the hell is going on!?" The man who had kidnapped me shouted, appearing at the cell door. I was alone again.

"Shut up! Shut up! Shut up!" He yelled at me, but I only cried harder.

*•*•*•*Alyces POV*•*•*•*

I pulled my jacket closer to my body and trudged through the snow. The cold wind made my eyes sting. Anger was the only thing fueling me. I pressed on, staring at each tree I passed carefully. I had walked many trails from the castle wall closest to Dayas window until reaching the town closest to that plot of land. There had to be an answer somewhere. I searched every day. Now I had gone into town and taken the train to the outskirts of the kingdom, the castle could be reached if you made a beeline through the forest.

My eyes narrowed when I sensed someone approaching from behind.

"Princess please" a guard caught up to me, appearing in front of me and blocking my way.

"How did you find me?" I stared in disbelief as he panted.

"I followed you from the castle. You shouldn't leave alone!" He spoke exasperatedly and I rolled my eyes.
"Move" I growled at him, trying to move past him but he stepped with me.

"It's freezing out here. It's too cold for even us. Please, go back home! You are too far from the castle!" he pled with me and I shook my head. I shoved past him, continuing my trek.

"Come with me if you must. It'll be easier with two pairs of eyes" I called back to him, glancing back. He looked at the distant town and back to me before sighing and following along.