Chapter Fifty-Six

Duties

I peeked at Salem out of the corner of my eye. He was sitting casually..his head resting on his hand. We had finished eating awhile ago in the dining room but hadn't left yet.

I wanted to ask him a lot of things.. I hadn't seen his mom again since last night. I wanted to tell him so badly that she is with him sometimes but I couldn't. I still didn't fully believe it was my gift.

"Why are you staring at me?" His voice broke my thoughts and I cleared my throat.

"Sorry just lost in thought." I mumbled, fiddling with my fork.

"And what could you possibly be thinking about?" He raised an eyebrow and I sighed.

"Do you need.. help?" I asked slowly, trying to be gentle with this topic. He stared at me blankly he was probably waiting for me to continue.

"It's just... last night.." I trailed off and a knowing look crossed his face. He had come to my room after maybe 30 minutes of being alone. When we went to bed he stared at the ceiling for so long. I fell asleep and woke up to him shaking so hard the bed was shaking.. I thought he was just cold but I realized he was hugging himself tightly, wrapped up in the blanket. When I woke him up he flew up on full alert, panting and looking around the room frantically. It was like he didn't know where he was.

"The trial kinda set my mind in a weird place I guess" he spoke quietly and looked down at the table.

"Don't look so ashamed. I can't imagine the things you've gone through with the work you used to do. It's only natural it'll take a toll on you. I just want you to know if you need it, we can find you help" I placed my hands over his and smiled. He nodded and moved his hands out from under mine. My heart dropped. He nodded towards the door and Sophia walked in.

I perked up immediately as she appeared next to us.

"Good morning dear" she beamed at me, turning her attention to Salem.

"You must be Salem. I'm Sophia, Dayas god mom." she held her hand out to him as he bowed his head.

"No formalities please" she complained, scowling. He laughed quietly and shook her hand.

"My apologies. It's habit" he smiled at her politely as she sat down.

"What's the plan for today?" She looked between the two of us and I shrugged.

"I don't go back to work until tomorrow. I was thinking about being lazy all day. Maybe go into town." She nodded along.

"You should. You deserve rest" she looked at Salem as she said that. He did deserve rest.
She stayed and chatted with me for awhile before I decided it was time to go. I considered bringing Victoria but.. I wanted it to be just us.

When we made it into town I took in a deep breath of the cool air. It always felt good to be outside. Salem wrapped his scarf tighter around his neck and rubbed his hands together.

"You're so quiet today" I looked over at him and he smiled.

"I'm being careful not to step out of line I guess" he muttered quietly and my heart sank. I didn't want him to walk on eggshells now.

"You know you're safe with me, right?" I repeated what he had told me and he laughed quietly.

"Of course. I just wouldn't want to risk grabbing you right here and now and paparazzi getting an untoward picture" he nudged me with his arm and my cheeks heated up.

We were not in town long before reporters appeared.

"Princess please! A few questions!" I kept walking, keeping my head high.