Chapter Fifty-Seven

Negotiation

I sat quietly, Salem standing at my side watching the line of humans. I had just finished going over the procedures with the vampire in charge of orchestrating the blood draws. I just oversaw it all.

Victoria sighed next to me, resting her head on her hand.

"So boring" she mumbled and I scoffed.

"You complain every time, and every time I tell you you don't have to come." I scolded her and she shrugged.

"It's our job. I won't make you endure this torture alone." She glared at me and I laughed quietly. So many human eyes glancing at us in fear. We were in city hall where the blood was collected. I had set it up so that humans came in groups at designated times so the line wasn't out the door and into the cold. It was a lengthy process. They were seen by a doctor first, making sure they were healthy enough to donate. We were nearing the end of the process for today. I sighed quietly, listening to the phlebotomist repeat over and over "thank you for your contribution" as if the humans had a choice in the matter.

Once we were finished here we made our way back to the waiting car. Salem opened my door for me like he did every time. It was the drivers job, but he insisted.

I fiddled with my hands nervously as we headed towards the border. I didn't know what to expect. I'd never gone this far through the kingdom, or been on this side outside of the walls.

It was an hour drive. I forgot how big our land was. There were two cars following us that were full of guards and two officials. We arrived at the destination, a rather apocalyptic looking town. It had a big mundane grey wall around it with stakes lining the top pointing upwards. A bit dramatic. Rogue vampires were essentially sovereign citizens. They didn't believe in following a king or queen. They didn't believe blood meant power. For vampires..that was just science. It was genetic. I watched silently as the cars behind us emptied. The I suppose, leaders right hand, was waiting at the gate. He looked very agitated. They all turned towards our car and I wished I could hear what was being said. One of our officials waved to us, giving us the clear to approach. I sighed and Salem put his hand on my thigh.

"It'll be fine. Just remember what I said" he smiled at me and I nodded. I kept my head held high as we approached them. The man suddenly glared, shaking his head.

"No, not him. He is not allowed here." He spoke angrily and I looked at Salem.

"I know what he's done. I've heard many stories. I won't have a wolf in sheep's clothing here." He snapped and an official begin trying to explain Salem was my guard now. I held back my laugh at the irony of his statement.

"He means no harm. He's my guard now, not on any secret business. As long as we have no issues, he has no reason to be utilized." I spoke politely and his eyes narrowed at me.

"Sending a woman in the place of a king.. foolish" he spoke angrily to himself, leading us inside. I decided to let that comment slide for the sake of not mouthing off. This was going to be interesting.

He led us into what resembled a city hall after giving us a brief tour. The glares that were cast was amusing. At least they tried to make it look like a city hall. The inside was renovated nicely enough.

We entered a room that had a long conference table. The leader was sitting at the head of the table. His eyes narrowed when our eyes met. There was quite a few men in here standing around scowling. So big and bad. Salem stayed by my side as I sat down at the other end.

"Isaac demands a meeting but doesn't show himself?" The man spoke gruffly and I smiled.

"I actually convinced him to let me come instead." I spoke politely and he scoffed.

"So the issue is-" I started but he cut me off.

"You think the issue is our hunting. We're not doing anything wrong outsourcing for blood." I held my smile at his words.

"You're taking humans that leave this side of the kingdom. You're also entering the kingdom at night and taking humans forcefully."

"So stop letting them out then. Maybe if you had better security you wouldn't be having your product stolen" he snapped back and I rolled my eyes.

"Stop letting them out and restrict their already restricted lives even more. No. And they aren't product. They are human beings with lives." I spoke back plainly, holding in my irritation.

He laughed suddenly, shaking his head.

"I highly doubt your father views them the same." He sneered and I smiled.

"No he probably doesn't. But I do. See, my father also believed it was a good thing to let you all live over here. We disagree on some things. I am next in line. I will not afford the same mercies my father has." His eyes narrowed now. My threat was delivered politely, with a smile.

"So if you want to be in good standing with me, because I am in fact who will be dealing with you once I step up, I suggest we get in good standing with each other now." I leaned back casually, crossing my arms. He smiled now, sighing.

"I see why you're such a hot commodity, Princess." He spoke lowly and I held back my disgust.

"As far as I see you are proving to be savages like everyone views rogues. Are you going to change my mind?" Keeping my tone professional was getting hard.

"I tell you what. Start affording us some blood supplies. In return I'll get everyone under control." I thought hard about this. I sighed and nodded. It was the best option.

I looked over to Harry, one of the officials that had accompanied me.

"This is possible, what do you think?" I asked him as he glanced over paperwork he had brought. He nodded slowly.

"Deal." I muttered quietly.

"By the way, my name is Dominic." He smiled at me, appearing at my side and reaching out for my hand. My breath caught in my throat. Dominic.
Salem grabbed the back of my chair, sliding me closer to him and coming between Dominic and I. I stood quickly and Salem grabbed my arm.

"I'm glad we came to an agreement" I forced the words out, my hands started to shake.

Salem grabbed his hand before he could touch mine, pulling him into him. He spoke lowly in Dominic's ear, I didn't even hear it.

The officials and guards with us all seemed confused. We left quickly. My heart was hammering in my chest. I got in the car quickly, breathing hard from anxiety. Salem shut my door, staying against it and speaking to the men that had accompanied us. Everything being said was muffled. I cursed myself for the fear I felt.

I kept my eyes on the privacy screen, Salems door opened and a different guard got in. I suddenly panicked.

I quickly rolled my window down, shouting at Salem.

"What are you doing!?" I tried opening my door but he appeared at it, leaning against it to keep it shut.

"Relax relax relax" he spoke lowly, making me begin to feel calm.

"I'm going to follow up on something. Henry will stay with you in the mean time, don't stress." He smiled at me and I shook my head.

"No, nope. Nope. You're coming home with us." I growled at him and he laughed quietly while shaking his head.

"It won't be long. Behave, yeah?" he muttered quietly, glancing at the guard seated next to me who was staring out of the window. Before I could protest further, Salem slapped his hand on the roof and we began to pull away. He disappeared from sight immediately.

I wrung my hands together nervously.

Behave.. it won't be long.. any time apart was too long now.

The Princess Guardजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें