Chapter Forty-One

Snowfall

Tiny snow flurries fell from the sky, drifting through the air. It was just starting to stick to the ground. I exhaled slowly, watching the steam float away. Finally cold enough outside that even a vampire gave off steam. It was 30 degrees outside. I stared at the cloudy sky silently.

"What's your favorite season?" Alex's voice brought me back to reality. We were sitting on one of the back porches. We had the outdoor heater going.

"Winter" I responded, not taking my eyes off the flurries.

"'Me too. We have a lot in common" he chuckled to himself. I didn't mind his company right now. We'd been speaking for quite some time and decided to move outside. I wasn't working today. Dad gave me some time off, Alyce overseeing my duties. She had absolutely freaked out yesterday when I woke up. Her main concern was "what if she's next'. Her self centered attitude was to be expected.

"There is something I wanted to talk about.." Alex trailed off, leaning closer to me. I broke my gaze and looked over at him.

"So when we were talking about mates a few days ago..." he trailed off and a strange feeling entered my heart. Did he know somehow! Did he have an ability of reading minds!! Maybe he did and he had heard me thinking of what my instinct told me about Salem .... But mind reading was such a scarce ability now..no it couldn't be that.

"I um.." he trailed off and I tensed up.

"I have a mate" he blurt out and my eyes widened. My heart suddenly sank for him. To have a mate as a royal is one thing..but if they aren't some level of royalty...well it just wasn't allowed. We couldn't be with normal citizens. We spread out enough to avoid crossing over genes. There were dukes and lords to pick from as well. If he was here, trying to court me, that meant he wasn't allowed to be with her.

"Well..had" he whispered and suddenly looked even paler. My eyebrows furrowed together and I reached over placing my hand on his shoulder. He was visibly upset just trying to talk about this.

"Don't talk about it if it's too distressing. Do so when you're ready. You owe me no explanations." I spoke quickly and he nodded, clearing his throat and composing himself.

"No, it's okay. My father had her killed." He spoke sadly and I gasped.

"What?" I whispered harshly and he nodded.

"It's something I want you to be aware of. I still struggle at times.." he trailed off and I nodded.
The concept of mates was almost as old as time itself. There was no exact period where we know it started. It was said to be the Gods selecting two souls to be destined to be together. You wouldn't see anyone else the same way ever. There's been many vampires to not survive the loss of their mate. Physical feelings are sometimes shared. Maybe a vampire died from beheading, their mate may feel pain in their neck as it happens. We don't have a lot of science to it. Every pairing is different. Some have a mental link, some don't. Some people thought it has to do with their blood line. Who knows honestly. I thank the Gods everyday dad survived moms passing. He was very bad off for a long time. It's horrible to watch.

"She wasn't of royal blood line. I actually met her in a human faction I was visiting for records. She was a receptionist. Her father owned the medical building." He spoke slowly, swallowing hard. A civilian role in a human faction was not good standing in the eyes of a king.

"I ended up collecting the records I needed and spent the whole day with her. We saw each other in secret for a few months before I brought her home. My father was outraged. He said it was a mistake; a disgrace. I told him it was her or nothing.." his eyes saddened immensely, I could tell the memory was replaying in his mind. Such an awful thing.