Chapter 4

Family dinner

******

Arthfael sat at the dinner table where his parents have called him. He had felt them looking at him earlier when he was experiencing his peacefulness. His papa tends to intervene and try to get him out of his thoughts yet this time he kept his distance. Arthfael couldn't catch what they were speaking about so on that note he is still blank. However, he can feel the plot swimming around his father's brain.

Dinner was never something they usually did, Both Aeneas and Alexander are always busy at that time and no one hates dinner as much as Aeneas. The fact that he was at the table today proved Arthfael's suspicions and just as he was still trying to figure out what exactly was going on Jun entered. His bad mood went sour that he couldn't drown down the comment in his throat "What is this low life doing here?"

Jun's eyes perked up showing a smile before it reached his lips. Another trait Arthfael hated about Jun, his happy demeanor. As nothing could ever make him unhappy "I was going to ask the same thing, stoic prince"

"It's time for dinner, let's not argue" Alexander tried to blow down whatever argument that would have been if he let them throw words at each other. These two have never seen eye to eye, Jun apologized with a bow politely. Arthfael just served himself food and started eating acting as if none of that happened.

"I wanted to ask if I can go visit my parents today"

Alexander nodded worryingly, he didn't want anything to happen to Jun right before they begin a journey with Arthfael. Jun was a sweet child, polite and charming. The opposite of Arthfael, Alexander believed that Jun would be the light in Arthfael's darkness "Only if your energy is enough" Alexander added, he preferred Jun's safety above anything else.

When Arthfael heard that he only grimaced, if the Larpon was so eager to go back home why not stay there permanently "Why can't you just go and stay there so that you can all cry together like the weak pathetic creations you are"

Alexander wanted to intervene, his son had a way of bullying Jun. Aeneas shook his head telling him to not intervene, this was going according to his plan.

"Don't talk about my people you stoic demon"

"You don't want me to call you what you are, weak and pathetic" Arthfael's words stung "And yet here you are the so-called prince of the most useless creation being raised by demons without knowledge of the people you will one day lead" Jun held the fork hard in his grasp when Arthfael pointed out the most insecurities that he thinks about every day "And come to think about it I have never seen you cry like your pathetic kind"

"Arthfael" Alexander had to intervene. His son was being brutal to Jun for absolutely no reason. It wasn't called for.

"Their kind cries whenever one of them dies, you mean to tell me that out of the ten thousand larpons, none has died for the past twenty years" Arthfael ignored his papa's warnings as he pointed out his exact thoughts. Jun was way too happy for his kind, his kind are considered 'mourners' like Arthfael wants to call them. Larpons cry every time one dies, which means Jun should be in mourning every second of the day and less happy.

"Since you brought the topic" Aeneas intervened before his mate ruined his plans "How about you two find out together?"

"Find what out?"

Aeneas pointed at Jun "Why he doesn't cry when one of his kind dies?"

This was the biggest task his father has ever given him. He was willing to find out why Jun doesn't cry and whatever he did, Arthfael will know "Don't worry father I will find out" Arthfael is willing to find out why Jun survived a curse that consumed all his people. How did he survive it?