Chapter 13

The curse

*********

"Diego, what are you doing here?" Verity asked with surprise. An old friend, it had been so long since they saw each other after Verity decided to live like a human, shift houses when convenient for him to leave little to no suspicion behind about his lack of age.

"Can you let us in?" Diego asked, Verity stepped aside and they got inside with Diego getting support from Sean until they rested him on the couch.

Verity saw blood floating onto his couch, he was saddened yet concerned about an old friend coming in bruised "What happened? Did you try again?" Verity knew Diego usually tries to end his life even if he always fails. After the decades that they have not seen each other he thought he will be done with it after learning multiple times he could not die.

"We got attacked" Diego replied shaking off the impression Verity was trying to bring out. He didn't try anything. He got attacked, His skin was not as bruised as it had been when they left the library even if he was covered. "Sean can I see the book" Diego couldn't wait to learn what was written in the real book of Helios.

This was his salvation, he has even witnessed its power. This was the book that was going to turn it all around.

Sean pulled out the book, Verity saw the cover and was immediately fascinated by it. Diego wasted no time flipping through the pages onto the page that he has always checked. The words engraved in it were different from any book he has been reading.

The verse said

    The battle was unavoidable, it had to happen for the peace of other creatures. I had to sacrifice the life of my first child for the good of all. And right as the battle between my children ended. My child Abnus ran for the hills badly injured while my second child Leroy fell onto my feet and whispered "It's done my lord" before falling onto his side. I Lord Helios knelt next to him as he lay on his back. A single tear fell out of my right eye.

I felt both their pain. Abnus was still my child no matter the destruction he has caused. All I have ever wanted was peace between them, their differences to cause happiness. I wanted them to live happily. I know I can't get that, I am too weak to create peace between you two. I hope one-day peace will follow as for me, I can't watch my child die as I continue to live. With the power left in me 'I end your pain and grant you will live as you want. To love and be loved, and remember my child, even when I am gone I will always be by your side for as long as my blood lives in you, I shall live"

And when you take your first breath once again, I will take my last.

The book was in the point of view, claiming to be Lord Helios writing the book. He couldn't have written the book, seen what was happening, and written it down. Diego wiped away a tear that had slipped as he glanced at the others in the room "There is no curse" he announced while resting the book on the table. He has been searching for this book for almost his entire life only to find it mentions nothing about the curse. It has to be here, if all the rest were fake the real one had to have the answers yet it couldn't be far from it.

All hope that he had was now lost, that book had to have the answers. "Diego" Sean called when Diego stormed out of the house in tears.

"Leave him" Verity instructed as he took the book off the table. He dusted it off then took a seat on the couch opening it up and reading the page Diego has just read.

"What is it? What does it say?"

"The words of a true god" Verity smiled "Helios, the god of the sun didn't curse his children"

"I don't understand"

"What do you know about the curse?"

"Nothing" Sean has never put in the effort to understand. Up till yesterday, he hasn't tried to learn about Diego's curse.

"When the god of the sun Helios created his first creature it turned evil and started taking innocent lives. Lord Helios and the moon goddess came together and created another creature strong enough to take down Abnus. The creature was called Leroy, the first white Aki. As strong as a demon but as pure as an angel. When the fight happened Leroy defeated Abnus but was left injured to the point of death. Lord Helios knelt and granted him his immortality and blessed him with a life he would want before he took his final breath"

"This book says everything from Lord Helios' point of view. How he felt and how he was willing to lose his life for Leroy. This book describes a true god and those of the past generations understood this. However, after the entire clan of Akies was attacked and killed. Diego...by then known as Eirenaois was cursed. The next books of Helios that were translated turned Helio's last words to be a curse. Someone changed the book and its entire history and as time went by, the curse became the history that was being taught" Verity passed his hands onto the book.

"What does it mean?" Sean felt like he was getting half of the story. He still couldn't understand what was happening.

"Diego's curse is not from Lord Helios"

******

Once Sean was left alone he sat down and started reading, the book that saved his life as he waited for Diego's return. The sun was now raising and he has been reading the book after taking a shower. He was trying to understand Diego's world even better than before.

It was time to understand everything and as the book went on he could trap in Lord Helios' inner feelings. The book was vulnerable like a diary but of a god. His history and how he came to become a god, his journeys, and the salvation he did for those in need. The light and hope he gave. He was strong but unable to create creatures like other gods.

It took him eons to be able to create a creature strong enough to live for it to turn out evil. With the help of the moon goddess, he was able to create a creature strong enough to defeat Abnus.

The emotions shared throughout the journey sat deep inside Sean's heart. He felt sad enough to get tears from his eyes... Especially the part where Lord Helios is saddened by his brother, even though the book didn't go into details the emotions were strong to ignore.

The door was opened and in walked Diego "Thank the heavens you're here" Sean ran over to him. Diego just hugged him, Sean could feel how much Diego needed the hug so he hugged him back and heard his cries onto his chest.

The hopelessness from every sob.

He felt his heart start to hurt because of the pain he could feel Diego was in "Everything will be okay" Diego cried even harder coz he knew at this point nothing was going to be okay. Everything was just wrong, all hope was lost "We are going to find out what happened"

"What is there to find out, this book is as wrong as the rest. It's probably also fake like them" Diego broke the hug wiping away the tears from his eyes.

"If that book is fake it wouldn't have saved our lives today" Sean responded "It's the real book"

"But it doesn't talk about the curse. His last words were about that-"

"But they weren't, you have just read that" Sean pulled Diego into the couch "He never cursed you, which means we need to find out who did"

"You don't know what I did-"

Suddenly a portal appeared right next to them, Diego was ready for a fight when out came Arthfael and Jun. He took in a deep breath, he got scared for a second thinking they found them that quick and managed to break through Verity's defenses without his knowledge.

"Why are you here?" Diego asked

"We are here because we know who cursed you"