Chapter 50

*****

The second Arthfael stirred awake he could feel the ground below him. With the sand and the smell of wet wood, even if he couldn't hear a single bird he knew he was in a place with trees and there was no presence anywhere around. At least depending on his senses.

He fought to pull himself up, his legs buckled under him so powerless. He moved his hand to search for something he could hold onto, it took him precious seconds to find an anchor to help him up and with luck, his hand met with a strong branch.

He hugged it and tried to get onto his legs once again while trying to listen to his surrounding just in case someone approached. His sensing senses were not as strong as they used to be and he didn't know if he was wrong or not. All he knows is that he could hear the sound of his beating heart.

With deep breathing he managed to get onto both his legs, he took the first step with his hands still wrapped around the branch as he searched for another to try and move. A breaking branch caught his attention, it sounded so close he could hear it even without his abilities.

He knew the enemy was close by, he had to escape. With no help, he started running blindly. His hands in front of him trying to make sure he didn't run into anything. He was successful for a few seconds before tripping off his feet and crashing into the ground and started rolling.

His body collided with so many things before he could make it to a flat surface once again, even with little air in his lungs and excruciating pain everywhere he continued to run where he didn't know. He was just trying to survive no matter what it took. If he got safe from Darthaniel then he will find a way to survive. Find a way to get to one of his father's friends he will be fine...

A small hand held his mouth before drugging him. He tried to fight out but the fingers were strong "Shh, I am not going to hurt you. They are behind us" A soft voice whispered with a tight grip on his lips. He wanted to fight but when he heard voices yelling to search for him he stopped "Follow me" she whispered again as she let go of his mouth holding his hand instead.

Arthfael followed blindly, not trusting her but feeling like she was the best option for him right now "In here" Arthfael couldn't see but he could smell the nasty sewer smells. His bare feet touched the water that he knew was nasty but for now, his options were not being clean but rather surviving.

The smell was not enough to get rid of his adrenaline as they both trotted through the sewer until they made it through "We should be safe for now, we can rest" She helped him find a spot to settle in, he held onto her hand before she could step away.

"Thank you" No one has ever helped him, much less a stranger. Even if he has never needed help from anyone before this is the time he needed to be helped and her being there at the right time felt like a gift.

"It's nothing, you looked like you needed help" he nodded as he let go of her hand. He rested his head back feeling exhausted, hunger was eating up on him. He balled his fists feeling helpless... A hand came close to his face, and he held it "Sorry to startle you, I just thought I should wrap a cloth over your eyes....they might get infected" he slowly let go.

He isn't keen on people being in his space and after the rough days he has had he couldn't help but feel on edge as she wrapped a cloth over his eyes "Where are we?" He needed to know so he can figure out which way is faster.

"Close to the fae land, I can't take you in or I will be eaten alive for helping a demon"

"It's fine, just direct me back to earth. I will be fine from there" he just needed to find a way to summon Cael, he will be fine from there.

"Can you go anywhere in your state?"

"I just need to find someone-"

"How will you do that if you can't see" Arthfael gritted his teeth in anger, not towards his helper but to himself. Right now he can't do anything for himself "I can be your eyes" which shocked him, who was this person who was willing to help be his eyes "I want to make sure you're alright"

Arthfael knew he didn't have that many choices but to trust this stranger because right now he felt helpless.

*********

Jun was in one of his classes when he got called for an urgent meeting. Closing the book, together with Captain Thomas who has made it his mission to not leave his side both made their way into the meeting where the elders, and some warriors all sat.

Jun took the seat next to his father while Captain Thomas remained standing not far away. Jun could feel the intensity in the room like they were about to make a discussion of a lifetime.

Arjun cleared his throat disturbing the silence that was eating at Jun. He almost felt suffocated "As we all have heard by now Aeneas is dead" his father started, everyone nodded but for some reason, Jun felt his throat tighten. He doesn't know why but he felt on edge with the topic, his mind moved back to his mate.

When he left him he wasn't in the best shape. After having lost his father and was facing a challenging situation Jun didn't know how things were going with him. He had tried a couple of times to contact him, through the ring and the orb yet both ways seen to not be sensing him.

Jun had been getting worried and no matter how much he was trying to brush it off he couldn't completely stop worrying even if he believed that Arthfael can handle himself "There is a new leader..." Arjun glanced at his son as he added "An Aki Darthaniel"

"What?" Jun stood up completely in shock "Wha-what happened to Arthfael?"

"That doesn't matter right now, what matters is that we need to sign a treaty with the new king..." words flooded over his head. Jun almost stumbled onto the ground but Captain Thomas held him before he could fall.

The entire room got their eyes on Jun with worry. His mother ran over to him "Are you okay?" his mother asked.

"Have.." Jun's voice trembled "Have you confirmed that he is dead?" His eyes were directly on his father and when he got no reply he yelled "Have you confirmed that Arthfael is dead?!"

"No one has seen the body but it's confirmed" Arjun sighed "This is not the time to care about which demon is dead, we need to decide about our next step-"

"If you're thinking about signing a treaty I say no. I would be dead before I ever get on the same side as that monster" Jun tried to get out but the warriors stepped in front of him "Get out of my way"

"This meeting is not over"

Jun turned to Arjun "But it is for me coz you are all going to outvote me. Basing your decision on your hatred for Aeneas and failing to realize how evil and heartless Darthaniel is"

"You get too emotional when dealing with this kind of matter. This meeting is obviously not for you" Arjun dismissed, Jun laughed walking back to the table and slamming his hands onto it.

"Emotional?" he glared at his father "Do you know why I get emotional when it comes to those demons? Because they are my family! I spent most of my life with those demons. Do you know why father? Because our ancestors failed to choose the right side and pissed off the wrong demons yet here we are in the same boat being given a chance to change history but what are you gonna do? Sign a treaty with the first monster to take the throne"

By the time he finishes, Arjun slapped him across the cheek, Jun's head whipped to the side but he immediately started laughing "Hit me again, maybe that will make me cry because that is the only thing I want to do right now...do it!"

"Jun calm down-"

"You all think you're so special" Jun cut his mother off as he glanced at every Larpon in the room "You all think Aeneas punished you by taking me. Do you all think Aeneas couldn't have killed you all and taken me? Do you know how he ended every creature that had betrayed him,  you all didn't get a snippet of his revenge yet here you are acting as if you had been SO wronged"

"Have you ever sat down and asked you're selves why he didn't extract the same brutal revenge as the other creatures" The silence in the room could be cut through. Jun felt like crying but no matter what he did he couldn't "Do you all know why before you start judging everything depending on your embarrassment and humiliation" Jun banged the table once again with a yell. A yell for his mate, a yell for not being understood, and a yell for still being here when he should be out there trying to find out what happened to his mate... "Do you all want to know huh.....?"

"Because I am his son's mate!"