42. Lunar New Year's Eve

Because Xu You had a short vacation and didn't have time to go back to Linshi to celebrate the New Year, they got Chen Li Zhi and her family over to celebrate New Year's. The two families got together for a reunion dinner to celebrate the New Year.

At the dinner table, Chen Li Zhi and Dad Xu talked about Xu You's grades.

"What school does Ah Chai plan to attend in the future?" Chen Li Zhi asked.

Dad Xu's reply was conservative. "Depends on her performance in the college entrance exam."

At Xu You's current standard, her grades in third year was not bad, so she should be able to enter one of China's top universities. She also had a calm temperament and rarely panicked , so her family members felt reassured.

"I'm just afraid other people in school would affect her," Dad Xu shook his head and sighed.

Students studying in Linshi Yizhong high school generally have good financial conditions, and would definitely compare their food and clothing expenses with one another.

Chen Li Zhi knew what Dad Xu was worried about, and expressed some words of comfort.

After a while, Chen Xiu Yun brought out sliced fruits, putting it on dining table. "Aiya, you guys should eat more. Take a break, and talk about something else."

"You too, big sis. Don't work too hard and eat."

"I'm not hungry. Is today's food delicious?"

Chen Xiu Yun frowned and patted Xu You's shoulder. "Ah Chai, I'm talking to you, why are you always distracted?"

Hearing her mother's urging, Xu You stopped being in a daze, stopped eating and raised her head.

"She asked if today's food is delicious," Chen Li Zhi came to the rescue.

Xu You came to her senses and nodded. "It's delicious."

"Have you been under a lot of stress lately? I've noticed you haven't spoken a word all day, and you didn't hang out with your classmates even during the holidays."

Chen Xiu Yun wiped her hands on her apron, pulling out a chair at the side and sat down, looking at Xu You worriedly. "Study is important, and so is your health."

"That's right, Ah Chai, don't always be like this. Go out for a walk more often. Staying at home like this will easily make you bored."

Dad Xu interrupted them, tapping his chopsticks on the bowl. "What play? Do you know what time it is? Xu You knows it herself. She's almost in her third year of high school, necessary efforts are needed. She's still young now, it wouldn't matter if she suffers a little. If she couldn't handle this stress now, what will she do when she steps into society?"

Xu You lowered her head and ate silently without saying anything.

After dinner, she called her grandma. Xu You hadn't seen her for a long time and missed her a lot.

Grandma had been discharged from the hospital some time ago and had been resting at home. She was very happy to receive a call from Xu You. She repeatedly shouted in a familiar dialect, "Ah Chai, grandma misses you so much. You're unable to come back for New Year's, so you can't eat the cake grandma made for you."

There were two or three cousins in the family who were in the same generation as Xu You, but Xu You was the one that grandma loved most. She grew up next to her grandma. After moving for school, her grandma was always worried that Xu You would have nothing to eat, or that she wasn't eating enough, or that she was not used to the food. But grandma is getting old and couldn't remember things well, so she liked to repeat one thing many times.