43. Lost Wits

After a while, small snow particles seemed to float again.

Under the dim lights, the night was endless, and the fragrance of wintersweet spread faintly in the cold air.

The bench they were sitting on was surrounded by several trees, and an off-road vehicle was parked in front of it. The location was very hidden, and the occasional people coming and going couldn't see inside.

Xie Ci sat next to her, eyes slightly lowered, looking at the spoon against his lips.

After a while, he opened his mouth obediently.

The dumplings were not hot, just warm, the same temperature as her body.

Xu You fed him without saying a word. Watching his full cheeks, chewing one and swallowing it, and putting the next dumpling to his lips.

Later, the lunch box was wiped out and everything was eaten. Xu You changed her sitting position, lowering her head to put the spoon away, picking up the lid at the side and closed the lunch box.

"Are you full?" she asked.

"I'm full."

"Oh..."

Xie Ci's eyes were dark, and his thin coat was sprinkled with a layer of white frost, which was unmelted snow.

Then it was quiet again.

After a moment of silence, she turned her face sideways, glancing at him and said, "Are you angry at me?"

It was unknown if Xie Ci was deliberately avoiding her gaze.

It was hard to explain this awkward feeling. After thinking about it, there seemed to be no conflict between the two of them that can be explained, and there was no reason for it, but they knew that something was separated, fermenting in the bottom of their hearts, but didn't know how to bring it up.

Just like this, dragging and torturing each other.

It was a windy and lightly snowing night, the wind cold, making bones ache.

"No."

He spun the lighter absentmindedly in his right hand, responding perfunctorily, lowering his head to take out a cigarette, ready to light it.

She didn't know why, but seeing Xie Ci's indifferent expression made Xu You suddenly feel helpless and irritated, and she didn't know what to do. She didn't like to lose her temper with others, and couldn't say any harsh words.

She didn't understand why Xie Ci was suddenly acting like this. She guessed that maybe he was tired of his relationship with her...

Xu You's mind was in a mess... remembering what Song Yi Fan had said. Then another phrase came to mind.

Liking the new and hating the old?

Perhaps...

Sitting quietly on the bench for a few seconds, she then stood up. After Xu You walked a few steps away, she stopped, her back facing him as she said, "Then you should go home early." Then she walked forward without looking back.

Her pace was light and slow. The sky was dark in the distance, snowflakes falling little by little on the tips of the lamps.

The lighter was thrown onto the bench, rolling down twice, hitting the dirt on the ground with a muffled sound.

Xie Ci hugged her from behind, his arms entwined.

Xu You was startled, struggling a little, and he hugged her tighter.

She blinked, the scene before her eyes a little blurry.

"Don't go."

When Xie Ci opened his mouth to speak, his voice was as hoarse as sandpaper.