44. Oh, Night

Xie Ci was stunned for a few seconds, her fine hair sweeping across his brow. With a light floral fragrance, he breathed hard, and the skin on the back of his neck tightened.

"It really seems like you have a fever..."

Xu You didn't notice something was strange about Xie Ci. She freed her hand to push the hair from his forehead and felt it carefully with the back of her hand.

He stood there obediently, his eyes lowered, his long black eyelashes retaining some light, and a smile spreading from the corner of his mouth.

The more he laughed, the more he couldn't stop.

Xu You was confused at his laughter. "Do you want to go to the hospital?"

"It's already late," Xie Ci said in an indifferent tone, pulling off her wrist and holding it in his hand.

Xu You turned her wrist, lowered her head and took out her phone to look at it.

It was almost ten o'clock.

It was already late, and it was still New Year's Eve, so she didn't know if the hospital was closed...

While she was still hesitating, Chen Xiu Yun called and asked her to go back quickly.

This time, her mother's tone was much tougher. Xu You could not continue to prevaricate, so she agreed several times.

"Are you going back?" he asked.

Xu You nodded, "My mother is urging me. You should go home early, too."

"Okay, I'll take you back."

It's not far from the road in the neighborhood, just a few streets away. On the way back, Xie Ci held hands with her, palms touching.

Then picked up the lunch box in the security room. The creaky opera came from an old radio. The security guard handed the thermos box to Xu You through the window and chuckled, "You're still out so late at night."

Xu You took it. "I'm going home soon. Grandpa, are you watching the Spring Festival Gala?"

"I'm watching, I'm watching."

The neighborhood security guard was an old man. Xu You heard her parents chatting one time and found that this old man had a hard life. His wife died young, and his son was not living up to expectations, as he liked gambling and owed a lot of debt. He had a wife who was also domineering, and the man didn't live up to expectations. He was caught having an affair with a mistress outside. The woman's family was in such turmoil that the old man couldn't stay at home anymore, so he came out to work as a doorman at this age.

Xie Ci listened to Xu You with a calm expression, and suddenly said, "Oh... cheating."

After walking a few steps, she reacted, and looked at him. "Why are you alone today?"

"...What?"

"Why are you spending New Year's Eve alone?"

"I've always been alone."

She was confused and heard him say, "I've lived alone since middle school."

"Middle school?!" Xu You was stunned, and thought that he was joking, "Why..."

"Oh, I had a fight with my dad." His expression was as usual and he spoke calmly.

"......"

Xu You sensitively sensed that Xie Ci's mood was a little off, and couldn't help but think of the hard slap he received from his father in the principal's office last time. She intuitively felt that there must have been some conflict between Xie Ci and his family. But she was not a very curious person, and as an outsider, it was not nice to inquire about other people's family affairs, so she swallowed her words again.