Chapter 33

The morning sun painted gentle strokes of light through the curtains as Kenzo slowly stirred, consciousness returning in waves. As he blinked away the remnants of sleep, he realised he was shirtless and bandaged, lying on a couch in Shin's living room. Memories of the previous night flooded back – the confrontation with the League of Villains, the chaos, and finally, seeking refuge at Shin's place.

Groaning slightly, Kenzo tried to sit up but winced at the pain that shot through his back. The bandages on his torso were a stark reminder of the intense battle he had faced. His gaze shifted around the room, landing on a chair where his torn hero suit lay.

"Morning, sleeping beauty," a familiar voice teased, and Kenzo turned to find Shin, slumped on a nearby chair reading a book.

Kenzo chuckled weakly. "Thanks for patching me up dude. How bad is it?"

Shin smirked. "Well, you'll live. But you really know how to make an entrance."

Kenzo grinned, the banter a welcome distraction. "What can I say. Someone with a face and physique like mine can't help it."

Shin rolled his eyes. "Don't push your luck, Kenz."

Just as Kenzo was about to respond, the doorbell chimed through the apartment. Both heroes exchanged a puzzled glance.

"Expecting someone?" Kenzo asked, wincing slightly as he tried to shift into a more comfortable sitting position.

Shin shrugged. "Not that I know of. Stay put; I'll check."

Shin ambled to the door, and as he swung it open, Kenzo heard a voice that sent a jolt of surprise through him.

"Morning, sunshine! Is Kenzo here? I've got some news for him!"

Kenzo's eyes widened as he recognized the voice. He struggled to get up, forgetting his injuries momentarily, as he called out, "Hawks? What are you doing here?"

The Number 2 hero stood in the doorway, a mischievous grin on his face. His wings were neatly folded against his back, and his vibrant red and cream hero costume spoke volumes about his status as one of the top-ranked heroes.

"Kenzo, my man! Long time no see!" Hawks exclaimed, stepping into the apartment with an easy familiarity. "I heard you had a little run-in with the League. You okay?"

Shin shot Kenzo a questioning look, but before he could respond, Kenzo found himself enveloped in a quick, one-armed hug from Hawks.

"Easy there, Hawks. I'm still recovering from last night," Kenzo mumbled, trying to suppress a groan.

Hawks released him, his golden eyes scanning the bandages on Kenzo's torso. "Looks like you had quite the night. But hey, you're alive, right? That's what matters."

Shin, having observed the interaction, raised an eyebrow. "How did you find my house? And how did you know Kenzo would be here?"

Hawks turned to Shin with a playful wink, ignoring his questions. "Dont worry about it."

"Keigo, this is Shin, my best friend."

Hawks extended a hand to Shin, and Shin warily took it. "Nice to meet you, Shin. I'm Hawks, number two hero, and today, the bearer of news."

Shin's expression shifted from curiosity to amusement as he retracted his hand. "I know who you are. What's going on?"

Hawks gestured towards Kenzo. "I'm here to bring Aero to a meeting at the Hero Public Safety Commission."

Kenzo's eyes widened and he ruffled his hair. "A meeting? What for?"

Hawks smiled. "Well, your rising status and the impact you're making on the hero scene have caught the Commission's eye. They want to discuss your growing influence."