Chapter 41

...

As Kenzo sprawled out on the floor of Shin's cosy apartment, the faint sunlight filtering through the curtains cast a warm glow over the room. Shin sat cross-legged nearby, a sketchbook open in his lap as they discussed plans for Kenzo's upcoming birthday.

"So, any ideas for what you want to do?" Shin asked, his pen hovering over the blank page of his sketchbook.

Kenzo pondered for a moment, tapping his chin thoughtfully. "Honestly, I'm not sure," he admitted with a shrug. "I've never been big on birthdays. But since you're insisting we celebrate, I guess we should do something fun."

Shin chuckled, his brown eyes sparkling with mischief. "Come on, Kenzo, you only turn 19 once! We have to make it special."

Kenzo grinned, unable to resist Shin's infectious enthusiasm. "Alright, alright," he relented, rolling onto his side to face his friend. "What do you have in mind?"

Shin's lips curled into a mischievous smile as he tapped his chin in thought. "Well, we could always throw a party here," he suggested. "I could whip up some snacks, put on some music, maybe even break out the karaoke machine."

Kenzo laughed at the idea, imagining himself belting out off-key renditions of his favourite songs. "That could be fun," he agreed, "but knowing you, it'll probably turn into a wild dance party before the night's over."

Shin grinned, his eyes twinkling with amusement. "Hey, you know me," he replied playfully. "I'm all about bringing the party wherever I go."

Kenzo chuckled, shaking his head in mock exasperation. "Alright, party animal, let's do it," he said with a grin. "But only if you promise not to embarrass me too much."

Shin winked, his smile widening into a grin. "No promises," he teased, "but I'll do my best to keep it classy."

With a laugh, Kenzo pushed himself up off the floor, feeling a surge of excitement at the prospect of celebrating his birthday with his closest friend. Whatever they ended up doing, he knew it would be a day to remember, filled with laughter, love, and the undeniable bond that had grown between them over the years.

Kenzo's phone suddenly rang, shattering the tranquillity of the moment. With a furrowed brow, Kenzo glanced at the caller ID, his curiosity piqued by the unfamiliar number flashing on the screen.

"Unknown number," Kenzo muttered, his voice tinged with suspicion as he answered the call. "Hello?"

"Kenzo?" a voice on the other end of the line spoke tentatively, the tone hesitant yet familiar.

Kenzo's breath caught in his throat as he recognized the voice instantly, a flood of memories rushing back to him with startling clarity. "Ren?" he uttered, his voice barely above a whisper. "Is that you?"

Shin looked up from his sketchpad, his brow furrowed. He knew all about Kenzo's past and was probably Kenzo's step family's number 2 hater. Right after kenzo of course.

"It's Ren," the voice replied, and suddenly memories came flooding back – memories of a childhood filled with pain and torment, memories of a family that was anything but loving.

Kenzo's grip on the phone tightened, his heart pounding in his chest. "What do you want, Ren?" he asked, his voice cold and distant.

There was a pause on the other end of the line before Ren spoke again, his voice hesitant. "I saw you on the news, Kenzo," he said quietly. "At the ranking ceremony. Congratulations on placing fourth-."

"What do you want, Ren." Kenzo repeated, unable to think straight. Shin placed a comforting hand on his friend's shoulder, his own anger visible on his face.