Chapter 38

...

Kenzo and Shin sank into the plush cushions of the couch, the soft glow of the apartment casting a tranquil ambiance over their conversation. They sipped their drinks, the warmth spreading comfort through the dimly lit room.

Shin flashed a lazy grin at Kenzo, nudging him playfully. "Alright, spill the beans. What else have you got for me?"

Kenzo paused, the levity of the moment fading as he gathered his thoughts. "There's something important I need to tell you," he began, his tone sombre.

Shin's expression softened, sensing the gravity of Kenzo's words. "I'm listening," he replied quietly.

Taking a deep breath, Kenzo met Shin's gaze, his heart heavy with the weight of his revelation. "It's about Hana," he confessed, the words catching in his throat. "She's... alive. And she's joined the League of Villains."

Shin's eyes widened in disbelief, his voice barely a whisper. "Hana?" he repeated, shaken. "But we thought... she's been gone for years."

Kenzo nodded, the pain evident in his eyes. "I know, it's hard to grasp," he admitted. "She was my everything, Shin. And now, she's turned against everything we believed in. She's the one who stabbed me, Shin. It was her."

Shin's hands trembled, his mind reeling from the revelation. "I... I can't comprehend this," he murmured, his voice choked with emotion.

Kenzo pulled his friend into a comforting embrace. "I'm sorry for dropping this bombshell on you," he said softly. "But you deserve to know the truth."

Shin shook his head, his thoughts consumed by disbelief and sorrow. "Thank you for telling me," he whispered. "But it's just so hard to accept."

Kenzo squeezed his friend's shoulder, his resolve unwavering. "We'll find a way to bring her back," he vowed, his voice filled with determination. "We'll save her."

With that, they fell into a heavy silence, the weight of their conversation hanging between them like a heavy fog. Yet, in each other's presence, they found a glimmer of hope amidst the darkness, their bond stronger than ever in the face of adversity.

...

Kenzo lay in his bed, the room enveloped in darkness save for the soft glow of the moon filtering through the curtains. He shifted uncomfortably, the ache from his wound a persistent throb that refused to fade even in the stillness of the night.

Closing his eyes, he tried to banish the memories that haunted him, but they lingered like ghosts in the recesses of his mind. Each time he drifted towards sleep, he was jolted awake by the vivid image of Hana's face, twisted with malice as she lunged at him with the knife.

His heart raced, his breaths coming in shallow gasps as he relived the moment over and over again. The sensation of the blade piercing his flesh sent shivers down his spine, the pain searing through him like a branding iron.

Desperate for reprieve, Kenzo tossed and turned, his mind a whirlwind of fear and confusion. The weight of his encounter with Hana pressed down on him like a suffocating blanket, robbing him of any semblance of peace.

Hours passed, the night stretching on endlessly as Kenzo battled against his demons. But with each passing moment, the specter of Hana loomed larger in his mind, her presence an ever-present reminder of the danger that lurked in the shadows.

And as dawn broke on the horizon, Kenzo knew that sleep would elude him once more, his mind haunted by the echoes of his past and the uncertainty of his future.

...

The next morning, Kenzo dragged himself out of bed, the fatigue from his restless night weighing heavily on his shoulders. Despite his exhaustion, he forced himself to push through, knowing that he couldn't afford to wallow in self-pity.