Chapter 41

"Uhm, you can go next.", he turned his head to look at me smiling as he did so. "Cool, you can just wait here.", he placed the rats on top of the cage, before getting up. "My clothes suit you.", his fingers brushed over my shoulder as he walked past me. My heart skipped a few beats. I really have to get used to his touch, otherwise...

The three animals caught my attention, so I walked over to them, sitting on the gray carpet. They immediately jumped on my hand as I stretched it out towards them, sniffing in the air. "Well, hey you guys. It's been a while.", I placed them in my lap, gently petting their skinny bodies. I really have to buy me a pet as well, even though I may not be the most responsible person on this planet. I started humming again as I played with the black rat that was the only one actually interested in being near me, the other two were just laying there, half asleep.

I recognized movements next to me, flinching as a hand touched my shoulder, but trying not to show it that much. "Oh, sorry, I didn't mean to scare you, Sky.", I looked up at Nathan who was standing above me, his hair dripping onto my face. I laughed slightly as I removed the drops. "So do you want  to go outside? We have an outdoor couch.", he held his hand out, as I nodded, helping me put the rats back into their cage and pulling me up on my feet. With one last smile, he turned around and lead the way to the backyard.

Honestly, we don't really take care of our yard, the only thing we use it for is to grill and maybe sunbath, but that's it. The Walker's on the other hand have a whole outdoor living room! Huge couch-thingy (whatever it's called) with pillows and stuff and they even had a cooking area, with different grills, an actual stove and counters. This is just amazing! Oh, and of course, not to forget about the big ass pool, you know, these things you can inflate. We had one of those too, but after a while we never actually used it anymore.

"Wow, this is awesome!", I said after we sat down on the couch, that was located underneath one of the trees, so it was at least a little shady. "I'm glad you like it, my mom works as an interior and garden designer. That really comes in handy.", he leans back his head rested against one of the pillows. "That's true,", I crawl over next to him, our faces only mere inches away from each other. "Do you have any plans for today?", he asked, his head rested on his arm. "No not really. I don't know if Claire is still at my place, but I don't have my phone with me", no idea why I didn't bring it with me.

"Yeah you're not even wearing your watch, that's really unusual.", his fingers trace over my wrist, where my watch would usually be, but also where the scars are. I pull my arm out of his grip, not wanting him to see them again, even though we had already talked about it. I'm still ashamed of what I did and I know it was wrong, but I also know that these scar will never go away, that I will have to look at them for the rest of my life and keep being remember of the stupitidy that made me do that. "I'm sorry.", he placed his hand back on the soft surface of the couch, his eyes seeming worried as he looked at me.

"No, it's fine, I don't know what-", I stopped talking as his arms sneaked their way around my body, pulling me closer to his chest. My cheeks felt like they were burning up in embarrassment as I buried my face into his neck, wet hair dripping down on me. He smelled good, just like the shower gel I allowed myself to use, now I know where it always came from.

Even in the shade it was still hot and cuddling didn't make it any better, I think Nathan thought the same thing when he released me out of his embrace, locking eyes with me yet again. "You don't have to be embarrassed about your past. It's part of who you are now. Can I see them?", his expression was so calm when he had said that, so I slowly turned my wrist towards him. He took it into his warm hands, looking at it, before slowly starting to kiss along each of the white lines, shivers running down my spine nonstop.

Why would he do something like that? How can he accept me without even knowing about my past? I know I did tell him a few things, but why would he believe it? I mean, I could be lying to him, being someone I'm not. He never questioned me, not even once. I have never thought about this in my entire life, up until now, it never mattered to me what other people thought of me or my past, Claire was the only actual person that knew about everything that had happened in my life.

"Why?", I choked out, a lump forming in the back of my throat. He looked up from what he was doing, smiling at me. "Because I like you.", his answer was so simple, yet I didn't understand it at all, this couldn't be the reason, or? Why would one look past a persons darkest parts and still like them without really knowing why and what? Is that what love is? Is Nathan in love with me? But it's only been one week, he couldn't be.

"You look so troubled, did I do something wrong?", his eyes widened, both of his hands cupping my cheeks. "No, I'm fine, just confused.", I placed my hands over his, giving him a reassuring smile. "I just never had to deal with something like this.", I continued, still looking at him. "Please tell me if I'm doing something wrong, okay?", he placed a kiss on the tip of my nose after I nodded. He really is a weird but interesting human being.

We both let go of my face, laying back down. My hair is almost dry, the hot air consuming every water drop like a sponge. I never actually liked being outside when it's this hot, but being with Nathan made it worth it. I think everything would be more fun with him. We stayed quiet for longer period of time, which wasn't uncomfortable at all, more like relaxing and calming. He looked up, his gaze towards the house, I follow it, seeing his mother and two other girls coming here. His mother stopped at the door, waving over to us before disappearing again.

Claire and Alex! The hell are they doing here?

*********************************************************

Quick word from the author (Haven't done that in a while), I just wanted to say thank you, not only for hitting 1K, but also for the votes and lovely comments. Thanks!