The Pathologist

Requested by Magic_and_books 

A grumpy Lestrade walked up the stairs to 221B. He was really not in the mood to attend this Christmas party. He had just signed the divorce papers after almost a year of arguing about it with his now ex-wife. She took the kids and almost all Greg's valuable belongings and moved to another country. He would only be able to see his kids during their holidays, but not on Christmas this year. He didn't feel like spending Christmas alone, though, and that's why he decided to attend Mrs Hudson's annual Christmas party. There would be alcohol and that was all the DI needed at that point.

He knocked on the door and was greeted by a very happy John Watson and a very annoyed Sherlock Holmes. ''Greg!'' John exclaimed. ''I'm glad you came. You're early.'' The DI faked a smile and followed the crime solving duo into their cosy flat. ''So how is everything going, Greg?'' Mary asked. ''Just signed the divorce papers. It's finally over.'' He replied, trying to hide the sadness in his voice. He wasn't really sad about his failed marriage. He had realised a long time ago that it wasn't working out. No, he was sad about not being able to see his kids often. He adored them and he wanted them to be a big part of his life, but that wasn't going to happen anytime soon. Mary looked at Greg with a sympathetic gaze. ''It's going to be tough for a while, but you'll find someone else and be happy again.'' She assured him. Greg smiled weakly and nodded. ''Thanks, Mary.'' He muttered. She patted his shoulder one last time before heading to the kitchen to join her fiancé's conversation.

Greg looked at them with a sad smile on his face. It made him miss his children even more. He even missed his ex-wife a little. It wasn't like they only had bad moments in their marriage. Not at all. They loved each other in the beginning and shared many happy memories together, but it just didn't work out. He couldn't help but feel alone, despite the number of people in the room. He had no reason to share their happiness and laughter. Even a forced smile was hard to achieve for the DI. He decided that he was only going to kill the festive mood, so he emptied his beer bottle and stood up to leave.

He stopped, however, when the door to 221B opened. ''Hi, guys.'' Molly Hooper greeted shyly. Everyone greeted her and John offered to take her coat. She took it off and it took everything for Greg to not let his mouth fall open. She was wearing a very revealing and stunning dress. Greg swallowed thickly as he took in her appearance. He thought she looked absolutely beautiful. He couldn't keep his eyes off her. He came back to reality when he noticed Molly was talking to him. ''E-Excuse me, w-what did you say?'' The DI stuttered. Molly giggled adorably. ''I said, you don't seem to be in a festive mood.'' She repeated. Greg smiled a little and nodded, staring at the floor. He was afraid he would end up staring at the pathologist again if he looked her in the eye while talking. ''I'm not.'' He admitted. ''I was actually about to leave, but something changed my mind.'' He dared to look at Molly and noticed a faint blush on her cheeks. He smiled at her before offering her a drink. He spent the rest of the evening talking to Molly and discovered that they had a lot in common.

By the end of the evening, Greg had one question haunting his thoughts. Was he in love?

_The Wedding_

Everyone was watching the first dance of John and Mary, but Greg Lestrade only had eyes for one woman, Molly Hooper. It had been a while since he discovered that he had feelings for her, but he was too afraid to tell her.

Sherlock stopped playing and John and Mary stopped dancing. Everyone clapped before making their way to the dancefloor as loud music started playing. Greg had no one to dance with and just stood on the side, watching other guests have fun. He sighed deeply and rubbed his forehead. He needed a drink. He was about to drown his sorrow in alcohol when he noticed Molly Hooper on the other side of the room. She was also staring at the other guests and stood completely alone, just like the DI. He drank the entire glass of champagne as a courage booster and headed towards Molly.

''Dance with me.'' The DI suggested. Molly blushed faintly and took his outstretched hand. He led her to the dancefloor. He placed both hands on her waist and Molly placed her hands on his shoulders. They danced in silence for a while, just gazing at each other and enjoying the music together. However, Greg felt the need to say something. He wanted Molly to know how he felt. He wanted to be able to kiss her and feel happy again, but he was afraid of her reaction to his confession. The alcohol he drank earlier gave him enough confidence to just blurt it out.

''Molly, I need to tell you something.'' He stated. Molly smiled shyly and nodded, encouraging him to continue. ''I'm in love with you.'' He confessed. Molly's eyes widened as she stared at Greg. They stopped dancing and Greg felt extremely stupid. He was about to let go of her waist and walk away to drink more when Molly's lips formed a wide smile. She pinched his shoulders slightly and pressed her lips against his for a short, but loving kiss. ''I'm in love with you, too.''