Follow The Leash

Hi, my lovely readers! I just wanted to say thank you so much for 291K! I can't believe how far this book has gotten, it seriously means the world to me. I also wanted to thank everyone who answered the question previous chapter, you all really helped me in making the decision.

I am happy to announce that when this book reaches its 200th chapter, I will be continuing the oneshots and the requests, but in a new book. See it as a fresh start for me to begin fresh and organised with a new set of stories for you all to read. I hope to see you all there once it's time! ♥

Now, onto this request of PrincessPeach211

~***~

A sigh escaped my lips as I dropped myself on the backseat of the cab. I didn't care how I came across, I just slumped on the clean leather and leant my head against the window, gloomily staring at the people as the car began to drive. 

''Rough day?'' The cabbie asked, glancing in his mirror. 

''Rough life,'' I answered, keeping my eyes fixed on the scenery outside. 

A soft chuckle escaped the driver's lips. ''Yeah, I know all about that, mate,'' He said. ''It's not easy being a taxi driver. But life is tough, you know. We need to make the best of it while we're here.'' 

My eyes slowly drifted to the man in the front seat. The sad undertone in his voice already told me quite a bit about his past; life hadn't been too kind to him. I felt myself being able to relate to the guy, a feeling that I did not often get. But it was probably the loneliness inside of me that was desperate to find someone to talk to. 

I would never dare to admit it out loud, but I was alone, completely and utterly alone. The only bits of social interaction I got was when I'd go to the Watsons' house in order to take their dog, Toby, on his daily walk. 

It was as if the friendship between me and John had died. Ever since he got back from his honeymoon, he acted distant towards me and seemed to try to avoid being around me at all times. Or maybe that was just my brain turning something small into things that weren't even there. I used to be able to blame the drugs for that phenomenon, but I hadn't used any in quite a while. How I had managed to keep my addiction in check after consecutive months of loneliness, I had no idea. It was incredibly tough to keep my head above the water. Many times, I felt like just giving up, grabbing that needle and just put an end to it all. I wouldn't have to suffer the way I did anymore. But my pride, my ego was in the way. I'd be seen as weak or a coward. I couldn't let that happen. I had a name to keep up, a reputation. I am the Sherlock Holmes, the only consulting detective in the world, the genius, the emotionless one. Sadly, one of those common views was not true. 

As much as I try to hide them, I do possess the emotions that other people have as well. I might not be good at expressing them or dealing with them, but I do have them. I'm not the sociopath many people think I am, but in order to do my job and be able to strike fear in people's hearts, I had to maintain the façade that I indeed am not capable of feelings. 

At times, I wish this would be true. No emotions would make the loneliness I am forced to live in so much more bearable. It wouldn't be so hard to get through a new day. However, my emotions are what make me human. Without them, I would be a machine, a selfish robot. I didn't want that. But why? 

I searched for the answer to that question for many days myself. And when I finally came to a conclusion that I knew was accurate, I got scared and shut down. The truth is, in the back of my mind there's this lingering voice. It's quiet, but it's there. It's the hope that one day, my life won't be so bad anymore. The hope that one day I will find someone to spend my days with and talk to whenever I need them. The hope that someday, John and I's friendship would go back to how it used to be.