Attitude

Requested by Fandom_beau 

This amazing lady mentioned above is one of the sweetest persons I've met on this website. She has a Sherlock oneshots book of her own and they are absolutely amazing! She deserves so much more reads, so if you have the time, check out her books as well! Thank you ♥ 

~***~

You hurriedly grabbed your coat and ran out of the door. You had enough of your ignorant, violent husband. He was one of the scariest people you had ever met and you didn't want to spend another minute with him. He was also one of the richest men in London, but no amount of money could make you want to stay with him. You were fed up with his abusive nature and you couldn't take it anymore. You had no clue where you could stay the night. You had enough money on your bank account, so you went to the nearest hotel and checked in.

Loud knocks on the door woke you up early in the morning. You slowly got out of the uncomfortable bed and put on one of the hotel's robes before opening the door. You immediately fully woke up when you saw the man's badge. ''Are you Mrs. (Y/L/N)?'' He asked. ''Y-Yes, that's me. Is something wrong?'' You stammered. ''I'm detective inspector Lestrade and I'm the one investigating the case of your husband's murder.'' Your mouth dropped and tears stung your eyes. He might've been a horrible man, but there was still a part of you that loved him no matter how awful he was sometimes. ''He-He's dead?'' You stuttered. The DI nodded, sympathy evident in his eyes. ''I understand this is hard to process, but we need you to come to the station, so we can ask you a couple questions.'' He explained. You swallowed the lump in your throat and nodded. ''Just let me get dressed first, please.''

You leant back in the tiny chair and stared at Lestrade who sat across the table. The shock had worn off and you quickly recovered your cold and harsh attitude, not wanting people to see how scared, sad and lonely you truly felt. They would use it against you if you dared to show too much emotion. One of the lessons your husband taught you was, 'never get rid of the tough exterior you put up, no matter how weak you feel on the inside.' You had always believed those words and stuck to them as if your life depended on it.

''Mrs. (Y/LN), I understand this might be hard for you, but we can only solve this case if you answer our questions.'' Lestrade started. You folded your arms across your chest and merely stared at him. He sighed but remained professional. ''Where were you last night?'' He asked. ''If you think I killed my husband, you're wrong.'' You stated. ''Just answer the questions, please.'' He pleaded. ''I was in the bed in my hotel room, sleeping like any normal person would.'' You responded, sounding annoyed. He wrote it down on a small notepad and continued with the interrogation, ''Do you know anyone who might've wanted your husband dead?'' You scoffed and rolled your eyes. ''Do you know who my husband was?'' You shot back. ''I'm well aware of who your husband was, but this is all part of the interrogation. Please, just cooperate.'' You sat a little straighter and pursed your lips. ''My husband was a horrible man. He was violent, abusive, rude and ignorant. I assume many people wanted him dead. I guess their wishes came true.'' Lestrade nodded, writing things down again. ''Did you want your husband dead?'' Lestrade wondered, looking directly into your eyes. ''I loved my husband, I still do. And despite the fact that he was ruthless and wouldn't allow me to do anything, I would never kill him or get him killed. Never.'' You said through gritted teeth. Lestrade nodded once again and stood up from his chair. ''Thank you, Mrs. (Y/L/N). That's all we needed from you. I'll be in touch.''

You saw the look in his eyes and you dropped your cold attitude. He had stayed nice and patient the entire time while you were being a pain. He just wanted to help you and your family get through this awful event and you were treating him horribly. You felt no better than your husband and you realised your mistakes. You bit your lip and fought back tears. ''I'm sorry.'' You said softly. Lestrade gave you a quizzical look. ''I'm sorry for acting the way I did. It was something my husband always did and taught me to do. That wasn't me and I'm sorry. Thank you for trying to help catch the person who's behind this, I really do appreciate it.'' You elaborated. A small smile tugged at his lips and he nodded. ''It's my job, miss (Y/L/N). It's quite alright.'' He said. ''Call me (Y/N), please.''

''I'll stay in touch with you and I'll let you know when we find something. You might have to come back here a couple of times, but that should be it. If you ever realise something or think you have some useful information, just come to my office and we'll talk.'' You smiled a little and nodded. Lestrade was about to exit the interrogation room when you stopped him. ''Detective inspector?'' You called. He turned around and motioned you'd continue. ''I feel awful about today. How about I make it up to you over dinner? I'll pay, of course.'' You proposed. ''I'll pick you up at five.'' Lestrade decided. ''Oh, and please, call me Greg.''