Forevermore

Requested by awfullygood 

I hope this oneshot adds to an amazing birthday. Thank you for being such a sweetheart and for always being there whenever I need it the most. I hope you had a lovely day ♥

This is a SherlockxReader/GregxReader, I hope you all like it. Thank you so much for nearly 240K, it means the world to me! I love you all very much. I hope this long oneshot makes up for my lingering absence. 

~***~

''Be careful, okay?'' You whispered against his lips. A smirk tugged at Greg's mouth. ''Aren't I always?'' He retorted, kissing you. You rolled your eyes, stepping back a little. ''I'm serious, Greg! I need my husband home safe at the end of the day, especially when it's our first anniversary!'' Greg sighed. ''Love, I wish I could stay with you today. I had an entire day planned for us both to just relax and be together, but this is urgent and they really need me at Scotland Yard.'' He defended. Guilt spread in the pit of your stomach. You loved him more than anything in the world and you wanted him to be happy. You knew his job was important to him, and even though it sometimes felt like you came second on his priority list, you realised you couldn't be in the way of his career. Greg truly did hate having to be away from you so very often, but he loved being a detective inspector. He tried to create the perfect balance between work and his private life, but he often struggled. However, in attempt to make you happy, he had taken a day off to spend your first wedding anniversary with you, but justice had gotten in the way once again.

''You don't need to defend yourself. I know how important your job is to you. All I ask is that you come home safely tonight.'' You smiled softly in attempt to get rid of the hidden sadness in your voice. Greg still noticed it and pulled you in for a hug. ''I love you more than anything, (Y/N), and I know that you worry when I'm at work, but I promise I'll be careful.'' He muttered, his face buried in your hair. You nodded and held him tightly, afraid he'd disappear if you'd let go. The love you felt for this man was so powerful, so strong and you realised that no matter how many times he'd leave on a special day, you'd forgive him each and every time. ''We'll celebrate our anniversary tomorrow or later tonight instead.'' He pressed a soft kiss on your head before pulling away from the embrace. Swiftly putting his coat on, he checked if he had everything he needed. One final kiss was placed on your lips before he hurried out of the door without another word. You quietly closed the door after seeing him get into a cab. Tears brimmed your eyes as you let out a deep sigh. It would be another long and worrisome day for you.

A loud and urgent knock on the door awoke you from your nap. You groggily got off the couch and rubbed your eyes. You looked at your phone, seeing that it was already midnight. Happiness spread in your stomach as you realised the person at the door must be Greg. ''I'm coming, Honey! Hold on a second.'' You called as you looked for your keys. As soon as you located them, you ran to the door and unlocked it with a huge smile on your face. ''Did you forget your—'' The smile on your face faded away and the glowing happiness inside of you disappeared as reality set in. ''Sorry for bothering you this late, ma'am. May I come in?'' You nodded solemnly, opening the door wider. The man's uniform showed you he worked with your husband and an unsettling, frightening feeling began to grow inside of you. The both of you sat down on the couch. ''Where's my husband?'' You choked, tears forming in your eyes. ''I'm terribly sorry, Mrs Lestrade. Your husband was stabbed during the investigation. We rushed him to the hospital, but he didn't make it.'' The words hit you like a ton of bricks. You sat completely still, momentarily frozen in place. Everything you were afraid of had happened in one night. A sharp and sudden pain erupted in your chest and you cried out, clutching your torso. Tears began to make their way down like a waterfall and there was no stopping them. The officer was at loss for words. Your strong reaction to the painful news made Greg's death even harder on him as well. He was his boss, his mentor... he was your husband.