Chapter 14 - Getting Better

Cris' POV

Kamea fell back to sleep in a matter of seconds. I tried to move her, so she would not wake up. I had to go see Mama Jayde fast.

I ran upstairs and knocked on her door. "Can I come in?"

"Sure, son-in-law, it is open."

"Something else terrible just happened. I just saw a breaking news story - Kamea's house was set on fire."

"Who in the heck did this to her?! I'll call my husband and have him meet us there."

"Okay. I will meet you downstairs in 10 minutes."

I threw on a shirt and a pair of jeans and told my mom what had happened. She said she would watch the twins.

After I was finished changing, I ran downstairs, grabbed my keys, and we left the house in my truck.

I drove fast so that we could get there quickly. We reached her house within 15 minutes. Kamea's father and sister pulled up at the same time as we did.

The firefighters were still fighting the blaze. It was bad - like a bomb had exploded.

"Who could have done this?!" Kamea's dad said very angrily.

"I can think of two people - Reed or Candi."

"I should have broken him in half when I had the chance," Kamea's dad seethed.

"Boy, does her father like breaking people in half," I gulped.

"I am the chief of the fire department. Two fire companies came to help us get this fire out. We may need more help. Do you know who lives here?"

"This is my daughter's house. Fortunately, she is not home. She is currently at her friends' house," Kamea's dad says.

"We will conduct a full investigation. But this looks like arson. What contact number can we use to call you about the investigation?"

"I can give you my number, and Cris will give his number as well," Mama Jayde told the chief. We both gave the chief our cell phone numbers.

"We will get back to you as soon as possible." Then, he walked back towards his truck.

"There is no way I can sleep after this. You all are welcome to come over to my house. There was still plenty of food from the welcome home party when I brought Kamea to my house."

"Let's go. I'll follow you." Mr. Palu said.

After everyone returned to their vehicles, we made our way back to my house.

*15 minutes later. *

When we got back to the house, I went into the bedroom to check on Kamea. She was still fast asleep, so I went back into the kitchen. Mom was up as well. She could not sleep either.

"Is Kamea's house completely destroyed?" She asked with a concerned look on her face.

"They were still fighting the fire. And the chief said they might need even more help to get it out," I said dejectedly.

"Whoever did it really wanted Kamea dead," Mama Jayde mentioned.

"Reed or Candi did this. I know it. They need to pay for this."

"Mom, can you take the twins' to school later? I am not leaving this house. And besides, tomorrow is Friday. I'll stay home through Sunday."

"Cris, we can take turns staying with her. I agree. I do not trust anyone with Kami. Who knows what another nurse would do? So, I'll take next week."