Chapter 47 - New York, New York

Kam's POV

Cris and I are on our way to see Austin. And guess what I found in Jamaica? A place that sells pickle milkshakes, and I got one. I looked over at Cris, who was staring at me while at a traffic light. "Stop tuning your face up."

"What? I didn't say anything."

"Your facial expression says enough."

Ten minutes later, we arrived at the hospital. Thank goodness Cris found a parking space close because my feet were hurting.

After parking, we walked inside. Let me rephrase that - Cris walked, and I waddled inside. We stopped at the lobby desk, and they gave us passes and Austin's room number. When we reached his room, I knocked on the door.

It was just him and Lollipop.

"Hey, Kam and Cris. Thank you both for coming. And also for bringing Braelyn back to Jamaica. I owe you both."

"It's not a problem, Austin. Hey, Lollipop."

"Hi, auntie and Uncle Cris." Braelyn ran over to Cris.

"Hey, princess."

"Kam and Cris, I really am sorry for having you all watch Braelyn. That was my responsibility, and I let my emotions get the best of me."

"Austin, Layla, and Braelyn are my family. Cris and I would do anything for them. And besides, we will get a chance to know each other better. Layla and I may not be blood sisters, but we are sisters nonetheless. We are just glad that you are okay. I was scared for her because I didn't want Braelyn to experience losing a parent like I did this year. My mom passed away in June."

"I am sorry, Kam. And I am sorry for scaring everyone. Thank you for letting Braelyn pick out the teddy bear. I love it."

"You're welcome. Besides, Braelyn and I are going to have so much fun putting makeup on Uncle Cris."

Cris' POV

"Put makeup on who?"

Austin burst out laughing after that.

"Ouch. Let me not laugh too much. Sorry, Cris."

"I had no say in the matter. But, whatever makes Braelyn happy, I will do it."

"Seriously, I can't thank you both so much for being there for Braelyn."

"You're welcome."

The door opened, and it was Layla and Ryan.

"Hey, munchkin, we got you something to eat."

"Thanks, mommy."

"Hi, Cris and Kam. Austin, Rachel, and Dylan said they are going to come back tomorrow morning."

"Thanks, Layla."

"Mommy, auntie, and I are going to play makeup with Uncle Cris."

Ryan and Austin looked at each other, then burst out laughing.

"Austin and Ryan, since the two of you find it so funny, guess what Braelyn and I are going to do to you?"

They both stopped laughing really fast.

Layla came over to me, and we traded high-fives.

"Austin, you are going to be the easy one because you won't be able to run away from us. And, you, Mr. Meyers, if you don't cooperate, I have something that will make you cooperate."