-16-

Cass was 'punished' more throughout the holidays, to the point she could barely stand. It didn't help that whatever spell Walburga had cast made her constantly have nightmares, or made her worst memories replay depending on the day. The day for returning to Hogwarts finally came and right on time, the Black children were apparated to Kings Cross.

"Have a good term." Orion said.

"Behave." Walburga said.

"See you in summer." Regulas called. Then he disappeared to find his friends, leaving Cass and Sirius standing with their trunks.

"Come on. Let's find a compartment." Sirius said, taking Cass' trunk from her. Cass nodded.

"Oi! Black!" A male voice shouted. Cass and Sirius both spun around. "Have a nice Christmas?" It was Avery. "By the looks of things you did." Cass didn't say anything, just turned around and walked away.

"This is your fault." Sirius hissed. "Leave her alone." Then he followed his sister to find a compartment.

They found an empty one near the end of the train and Sirius hauled their trunks up onto the luggage rail. He sat down and Cass sat beside him. "Sirius?" She said.

"Yeah?"

"Don't tell anyone about what happened okay? Please."

"Cass, no offence but you look awful. I think people will realise something is up." It was true, Cass was far too skinny, she was considerably paler and she didn't meet anyone's eye.

"Sirius, please I can't let anyone know." Cass sighed. Sirius put his arm around her but Cass flinched away. He jerked back. "Sorry." Cass murmured. She buried into his side and later her head in his shoulder. "Promise you won't say anything.

"I promise." Sirius said. "Maybe you should get some sleep." Cass nodded and closed her eyes.

•••

"No Potter, for the last time I will not go out with you!" The shouts of Lily Evans drifted through the compartment door. Sirius rolled his eyes. James just would not give up. James pokes his head round the compartment door.

"Hey mate." He said, grinning at Sirius. Sirius shushed him, gesturing down at his sleeping sister.

"Sirius have you seen-" Lily entered the compartment. "Nevermind she's here." Lily sat down beside James.

"See Evans, knew you liked me really." James said, winking at her. Lily muttered something under her breath. "Where's Remus?"

"Dunno, Peter stayed at school though." Sirius said.

"Hey guys." Remus said, coming into the compartment. "Sorry, I couldn't find you."

"S'okay." James said. "Good Christmas?"

"Yeah. Better then Cass' by the looks of things." Remus looked at Cassiopeia anxiously. "Is she alright?"

"No." Sirius said, shaking his head. "She isn't."

"What's wrong with her?" Lily asked worriedly.

"You'll have to ask her yourself, I said I wouldn't say anything."

"But-"

"No Lily, I promised her."

"Sirius..."

"Lily, I said no." Sirius snapped. "Sorry."

"It's fine." Lily said timidly. "I should probably find Alice and Dorcas. Ask Cass to come find us when she's awake." Sirius nodded. Lily disappeared from the compartment.

"She's even more beautiful now." James said dreamily. Sirius and Remus both rolled their eyes.

"Don't be stupid James. She looks the exact same." Remus said. "Man up."

"Shut up Remus, just because you don't have anyone to confess your undying love to." James said. Remus blushed. "Oooh Remy who is she?"

"No one." Remus muttered. "It's not important."

"What about you Siri? Anyone exciting?"

"No James." Sirius sighed. Remus reaches up to get his book and started reading.

"You're so boring Remus. I'm going to go find Lily, coming Sirius?" James said.

"Sorry mate I'm a bit tied up here." He gestured down at Cass. James folded his arms.

"Meanie." He said, pouting. Sirius rolled his eyes. "Fine, I'll go find her by myself." James stomped out of the compartment.

"Remus, could you pass me the book in my trunk?" Sirius said.

"Sirius Black, reading? By choice? Somebody call a doctor." Remus said, grinning.

"Oh shove off." Sirius said. Remus reaches up to Sirius' trunk and retrieved his book. "The wind in the willows?"

"Yeah it's a muggle classic apparently. According to Lily anyway." Sirius said.

"Sirius, you dark horse! I never took you for a reader, especially not of muggle classics."

"Yeah well, don't spread it would you? Don't want my bad boy reputation being ruined." Sirius said.

"Of course not." Remus agreed. He went back to the book he was reading.

•••

Cass jerked awake, her hands clammy and her heart rate fast. She sat up abruptly, causing Sirius to jump. She breathed heavily, panting slightly. Luckily, Remus was sleeping.

"Woah, woah. Cass it's okay. It was just a dream." Sirius soothed, rubbing her shoulder.

"Yeah. A dream." Cass echoed. She stood up and stretched. "I'm going to get some air, stretch my legs."

"Cass we're on a train. This is the best air you're going to get." Sirius said.

"Well I need to stretch my legs. I'll be back."

"Lily was looking for you. Why don't you go find her?"

"Because Sirius, I just want to stretch my legs. I'll be back in like 5 minutes." Cass said. "I might get something from the trolley, want anything?"

"Yeah, some liquorice wands would be nice." Sirius said. Cass waved goodbye and left the compartment.

•••

The train pulled into the station and everyone crowded onto the carriages. The great hall looked as it always did, bright and cheery. Dumbledore made his usual speech and the food appeared.

"How was everyone's Christmas?" Marlene asked.

"Pretty decent." Lily said. "I got the books I wanted."

"Mine was good." Dorcas said.

"Same here." Alice said.

"Yeah same, not many people stayed though." Poppy said. They all looked expectantly at Cass.

"It was fine." Cass said, looking down at her food.

"Really Cass? Because you don't look—"

"I said it was fine Alice." Cass said shortly. Alice raised her hands in surrender.

"Okay, I was just checking." She said.

"Sorry." Cass said. She stood up from the bench and left the hall.

"Well, that was weird."