-34-

"I'm going to look for her again." Lily said, standing up from her bed.

"Okay, want me to come?" Marlene said. Lily shook her head. Dorcas and Alice has fallen asleep. "Don't go too far Lily, there's no point in you getting caught."

"I'll just say I'm on prefect duty." Lily shrugged.

"Not very convincing without Remus."

"I'll make something up." Lily said.

"Be careful." Marlene said.

"I will." Lily padded downstairs to the common room.

"For fucks sake James!" She heard Sirius yell. "Why does this happen every time we go to fucking Hogsmede?"

"I don't know, could she not just be having a nice time with Avery?" James said.

"There is no nice time when it comes to Avery." Sirius muttered darkly.

"Sirius, I think we all just need to calm down." Remus said. "She'll come back. We just need to wait."

"Remus is right Sirius. She always comes back."

"But what if she doesn't?" Sirius whispered. He collapsed onto the sofa beside Remus.

"Hi." Lily said. The three boys span around. Peter was asleep in an armchair.

"Hi Lily." Remus said.

"So she's not come back yet then?" Lily said quietly. James shook his head solemnly. Lily sat down beside him.

"I can't just sit here." Sirius said. He went to stand
up but Remus grabbed his hand.

"You'll get caught and then you'll be no use to anyone. Just be patient."

"Easy for you to say, it's not your sister out there."

"Sirius, it's as good as." Remus snapped. "We're all worried, but you are not going to help by getting into trouble."

"Sorry Rem, you're right." Sirius leant back into him. "I'm just terrified."

"I know." Remus said. He put an arm around Sirius. They waited in silence. Eventually Sirius fell asleep. Lily fell asleep curled into James and James fell asleep with an arm around her. Remus eventually nodded off.

•••

Cass staggered into the common room an hour or so later. "Sirius." She croaked. Sirius woke quickly, he looked around sleepily. He leapt to his feet when he saw Cass. Cass felt her legs give out from under her as she collapsed. Remus was also awake now and ran with Sirius to help her.

"Cass, what happened?" Sirius asked. Cass shook her head.

"Get me some warm water and a cloth." Remus said. "Cass, can you stand?" Cass shrugged. Sirius came back with the water and put it on the table. "Sirius, help me get her to the couch." They lifted her on to the couch.

"I see my absence brought a blooming couple together." Cass croaked. Lily and James were curled up together. Sirius shook his head in amusement. Lily woke up.

"Cass? Holy shit." She said. She jumped up, waking up James in the process. Remus dabbed the cloth on Cass's arms. Cass winced slightly.

"Where have you been?" Sirius said. "We've been worried sick."

"Ah yes Sirius, sorry I forgot to write it in on the calendar." Cass snapped. Lily elbowed him.

"Right, sorry." Sirius mumbled.