-119-

"Welcome back, I wish you all a very happy new year!" Dumbledore launched into his usual back to school speech, which Cass completely zoned out of. She'd heard it all before.

She felt McGonagalls eyes on her and she grinned, waving cheerily up at the Professor. McGonagall rolled her eyes but gave her a slight wave back, giving her a stern look to tell her to pay attention.

"—as you all know, dark times are ahead. I ask you all to remain alert when leaving the castle, we never know what is out there." Dumbledore said gravely. "I advise you all to keep your friends close, we all need people to rely on. Now, I bid you all goodnight."

"Well that was uplifting." Marlene said, rolling her eyes.

"Expect he has to address it." Dorcas muttered. "You know, prepare us for what's out there."

"All he's done is make me sad." Alice said. "I want a hot chocolate."

"Go to the kitchens then." Cass said. "Get me one if you do, I need to chat to Minnie for a sec."

"Wait, I don't know how to get into the kitchens!"

"Ask Remus!" Cass called over her shoulder as she pushed through the crowds of students towards the staff table.

Professor McGonagall was conversing with Professor Carter. Cass slowed down, not wanting to even greet the Defence Against Dark Arts Professor — who she still thought was a massive dickhead. Professor Carter turned and left, leaving McGonagall standing alone

"Hiya Minnie, happy new year." Cass said.

"Happy new year Cassiopeia." McGonagall said.

"Did you get my present?" Cass said. McGonagall nodded, smiling widely.

"Yes, thank you very much. Professor Slughorn and I had a great time dancing to that record. He showed me how to use the record player you sent." She said. Cass grinned.

"I just came to ask if we're still on for Wednesday tea?"

"Of course." McGonagall said.

"Right Minnie, well I'll be off then. Don't want to worry the gals." Cass said. McGonagall smiled.

"I'll see you in Transfiguration Cassiopeia." She said.

"Bye Minnie, love you!" Cass said, giving the older woman a tight hug. McGonagall chuckled and patted Cass gently on the back.

"Goodbye Cassiopeia."

•••

Cass' leg bounced up and down as she tried to concentrate on the lecture that Professor Carter was giving on the patronus charm. It was the day of Averys trial and as much as Cass pretended she had forgotten about it, it was at the front of her mind.

"Miss Black, could you tell me what the incantation is?" Professor Carter drawled. Cass resisted the urge to roll her eyes.

"Expecto Patronum sir." She said. Carter nodded and resumed the lecture. After he dismissed the class, Cass shoved her books in her bag and attempted to hurry from the room, Lily right beside her.

"Miss Black, a word if you please." Carter said. Cass' shoulders slumped as she sighed. Lily squeezed her arm.

"I'll wait for you outside." She said. Cass smiled at her before turning to go to the Professors desk.

"Yes, sir?" She said.

"It appears you have forgotten to turn in your essay on werewolves." Carter said. "I have been looking through everybody's essays and yours is missing."