-50-

Cass waited up for Sirius and co to return to the common room. They hadn't been at dinner, she assumed they were at the hospital wing. It reached 11 o'clock and they still weren't back. Cass sat in the common room, alone. She had sent the her friends to bed over an hour ago, claiming she wanted quiet time to study and she would be fine alone. She drifted into an uneasy sleep.

"Cass!" She felt Sirius shaking her awake. Cass opened her eyes with a snap. She was sweating.

"Sirius, where's James?" Cass asked immediately. She heard a chuckle from behind her brother.

"Don't worry about me Cassie." James said, poking her cheek. Cass hit him.

"You utter tool!" She said. James looked thoroughly taken aback. "You should have gone straight to the hospital wing! You never know how deep a spell like that can cut." Cass folded her arms, stealing a glance at Sirius, who looked tense. Cass lowered her voice. "You know what happened to Sirius, I think that was a similar spell." James adjusted his glasses.

"You're right." He said. "But Snape-"

"I know James. I heard." Cass said shortly. James sat down beside her.

"I'm sorry." James said. Cass shrugged.

"Just don't think Lily could cope with the pain of something bad happened." She gave him a wink. James' face lit up. Remus groaned.

"Now look what you've started!" He said. Cass just laughed.

•••

Cass sat down at her usual spot beside the black lake, waiting Noah. Exams had finished the day earlier and the castle was starting to get ready for the students to leave. Cass couldn't bear to leave. She didn't want to go back there. She watched Noah approach. He sat down across from her. His usual cheeky grin was nowhere to be found.

"Are you alright?" Cass asked. She could sense something was wrong. Noah didn't meet her eye.

"We need to talk." He said.

"Talk then." Cass said, her nerves piling up.

"I can't do this anymore Cass." Noah said, looking at her for the first time.

"What?" Cass said, a sinking feeling coming over her.

"This. Us. I can't stand the fact that you're still with someone else. I'll never be able to call you mine to the people I care about. I don't want to keep lying to them Cass." Noah said. Cass didn't speak. "It's been a blast, but we've reached the stage in our relationship where we should have been public ages ago. Only four people know about us, and two of them see me and you. I just can't continue with all the secrecy and lies." He sounded defeated.

"So, you're breaking up with me?" Cass said quietly. She fought back the tears that were threatening to fall. Noah's eyes met hers and she could see him hesitate.

"Yes." He said, finality lacing his tone. "It's over. I'm sorry."

"No Noah, I'm sorry! Me and my big family problems! Me and my controlling boyfriend! Me and my stupid life! But don't worry about me! I hope your next girlfriend can be as open as she wants about you. I hope, for her sake, that she doesn't have to hide her love for someone." Cass said, standing up.

"Cass, I didn't mean-"

"No." Cass said hollowly. "You did mean. It's not my fault that it has to be like this. I don't like it!" She turned angrily to go back to the castle. Noah took her hand.