-104-

"Letter for you Cassiopeia." Narcissa said, handing her an envelope. Cass stared at it.

"A what?" She said.

"A letter." Narcissa repeated.

"Does- does Avery know?" Cass asked, biting her lip. Narcissa nodded.

"Course, he's already read it. It's from your brother." Narcissa said. Cass' eyes widened.

"Sirius?" She said. Narcissa raised her eyebrows.

"Of course not, it's from Regulas." She said. Cass' shoulders slumped and she stared down at the floor. She took the letter from Narcissa and tore it open.

Dear Cassiopeia,
I just thought I should let you know that I'm coming to your wedding. Things are good here, I do miss seeing you about in the halls. Happy birthday, by the way. Sorry it's a bit late — I'll give you your present at your wedding. I hear Clarisse is there? It'll be nice to see her. See you soon.
Your brother,
Regulas

Cass couldn't care less if Regulas showed up to the wedding or not. He didn't even bother to let her know if Sirius was okay.

"Are you alright?" Narcissa asked quietly, seeing the look on Cass' face.

"Of course I am." Cass said, her voice high and unnatural. "I'm just a bit worried about the wedding."

"Understandable." Narcissa said. "I was so nervous before my wedding, and I love Lucius. You don't even like Avery. Not that I blame you, of course."

"What do you mean? Of course I like Avery." Cass snapped, her voice still an octave higher than usual. "I love him."

"You don't." Narcissa said softly. "You don't, and that's okay."

"Yes I do." Cass insisted. "I have to Narcissa, you don't understand." Tears formed in her eyes. She looked nervously over her shoulder.

"Cass..."

"Don't call me that. Please." Cass said, her voice cracking. "I can't have that name tainted by this... this nightmare." Her tears fell freely down her cheeks.

"Cassiopeia, it's okay not to love him." Narcissa said. "Plenty of people don't love their arranged husbands."

"No, I'm being silly." Cass shook her head. "This is not a nightmare. It's not a nightmare if you can't wake up from it." She wiped her tears hastily as the door to the drawing room opened.

"Ah, there you are." Clarisse said. "Bien, Avery ees looking for you Cassiopeia."

"Great." Cass said. "Merci Clarisse, au revoir."

"You 'ave been crying? Est-ce que ça va?" Clarisse said, her eyebrows knitting together with concern.

"Oui." Cass said. "Narcissa, didn't you need to show Clarisse her dress for the wedding?"

"Ah, le mariage. Just over une semaine!" Clarisse said. Cass gave her a strained smile and nodded.

"I'd better go." She said.

"Et Sirius? Is he coming?" Clarisse said. Cass stiffened.

"No." She said flatly.

"Sirius has been disowned Clarisse, he is not invited to such events." Avery said coolly from the doorway.

"I was just c-coming to find you." Cass squeaked. "So-Sorry for the wait."

"Pardon Avery, it was my fault." Clarisse said. Avery smiled, but it did not quite reach his eyes, they remained angry and cold.