-64-

At last, Cass seemed to be healing. As October drew to a close, Madam Pomfrey said she could to to the Halloween feast, so long as she was accompanied there and came straight back. Cass agreed immediately, telling Sirius to come and collect her.
The only time that Sirius seemed content was when he was in the hospital wing with Cass, or when he would sneak around with the corridors late at night with Remus. He disappeared for hours on end after dinner, returning with bloodshot eyes. Remus was becoming increasingly concerned, but Sirius waved him off everytime he brought it up.
Sirius has also fallen back into his old habit of smoking cigarettes, claiming it relaxed him. The last time he had smoked was Christmas. It seemed that it was his coping mechanism when everything got too much. Remus, James and Peter accepted it reluctantly, realising it was better than alcohol.
The time came for Sirius to take Cass to the feast and he arrived bang on time. Cass staggered slightly as she climbed out of the bed she had been confined to for the past month. Sirius caught her as she stumbled, laughing.

"Shut up." Cass said, pouting.

"Sorry Cassie, just glad to see you're up and about." Sirius said. Cass plastered on a smile, knowing she would have been up and about a long time ago if Avery hadn't... No, she couldn't think about that now.
Sirius didn't know, and she didn't want him to. Remus has told her about his run in with their parents, and the last thing that Sirius needed was more stress. She clutched onto Sirius for dear life as they inched slowly to the great hall. Cass was very unsteady on her feet after being off of them for basically a whole month. Sirius didn't mind, filling Cass in on all the latest drama from around the school.
Cass could hear the chatter and buzz of the great hall as the crossed through the entrance hall. Sirius pushed open the doors. A sinking feeling came over Cass as she locked eyes with Mulciber straight away. He smirked at her. Cass maintained eye contact, staring him down until he looked away. Satisfied, she let Sirius take her over to the Gryffindor table.

"Cass, you okay?" Sirius asked.

"Course." Cass said, ignoring her trembling hands. Sirius didn't look entirely convinced but led her to the end of the table where Remus, James, Peter, Lily, Marlene, Dorcas, Alice and Frank were waiting. Lily beamed at her as she sat down beside her. Sirius sat across from her, beside a tired looking Remus.

"So, are you back for good?" Lily asked excitedly.

"Only for tonight I'm afraid. Madam Pomfrey was very clear that I had to go back to the hospital wing." Cass said.

"Well that sucks." Lily said, pulling a face.

"It's good to see you're okay though." Alice said, giving Lily a rather sharp look.

"Yeah." Cass said, forcing a smile. Okay. The word that seemed to haunt her wherever she went. Everyone asked 'are you okay?' and Cass would force herself to smile and nod. Nothing was okay, especially as she was three fateful days from turning 17. The dreaded time where she would 'come of age', all it meant was she could no longer avoid her families plans for her. She didn't pay any attention when Dumbledore made his speech, or when the food appeared. She stared vaguely in the direction of the Ravenclaw table, out of pure habit. She ignored the general hubbub of chat from her friends. Lily nudged her gently and she jumped.

"What? Sorry I wasn't listening." Cass said. Her friends laughed.

"That much was obvious." Marlene said, rolling her eyes slightly. Cass muttered more apologies, ducking her head.

"Anyways, I was just asking if you'll be out for your birthday?" James said.

"Doubt it, I'm not that fussed." Cass said. "I mean, Sirius practically had to carry me here so I know for a fact that I will not be returning to classes anytime soon."