epilogue

Cassiopeia Black hurried into Potter Manor, having received an emergency summoning from Lily via Sirius and James' linked mirrors. She sounded scared, so Cass had sprinted over (after careful consideration not to take Sirius' motorbike). Fleamont and Euphemia were out and Sirius and James had gone off somewhere, so Cass just let herself in.

"Lily?" She called.

"In here." Lily said. She sounded as though she was crying, or had been crying. Cass went into the living room, where Lily was sat on the sofa, her knees pulled up to her chest.

"Lily, shit." Cass said. "Are you okay?"

"I- I don't know." Lily whispered. Cass knelt down beside her.

"What's wrong?" She asked quickly. "Did something happen?"

"Cass... I think I'm pregnant." Lily said. Cass stared at her.

"P-pregnant?" Cass repeated.

"Yes." Lily said tearfully. "I'm late, like by a lot, I keep spewing and my boobs... holy shit they're so sore." She laughed in spite of herself, before quickly stopping.

"Okay, we can deal with this." Cass said. "Have you done a test?"

"I peed on one of those test things a few minutes ago." Lily said.

"Let's check it then." Cass said. The two of them went quickly through to the bathroom, staring at the small stick placed on top of the toilet.

"Shit." Lily said. "You look, I'm too scared." Cass nodded, reaching for the stick. She gasped as she saw a small plus sign in the reader.

"You're pregnant." Cass said. "Oh my god, Lily you're pregnant."

"Fuck." Lily said. "What do I do? How am I going to tell James? What's he going to say? What if he breaks up with me?"

"Woah, woah slow down." Cass said. "You need to tell James, first of all, and then you need to go to the doctor and get a real test to be sure. They can do that — that ultie-thingy."

"Ultrasound." Lily supplied.

"Right, that." Cass said. "You're going to get that, and then you'll go from there. James will probably be shocked at first, but he's not going to break up with you. If he does, I'll break his kneecaps."

"Thanks Cass." Lily laughed.

"Lily! We're back! Boy, do I have news for you— Cass, what are you doing here?" James wandered into the bathroom.

"Hello to you too Jamesie." Cass said.

"I have some news for you too." Lily said. "But you go first."

"I can go, if you'd like." Cass said.

"No, Cass stay." Lily said, grabbing her hand. "Go, James."

"I've just been speaking to Dumbleodre, and he wants us all to join the order of the Phoenix!"

"Order of the— what?" Lily said.

"It's an organisation, to fight back against Voldemort." James said excitedly.

"Oh." Lily said.

"He's invited us all to his office next week to discuss it, he said to bring everyone — even Noah and Grace, and Emmeline." James said. "This is what I was talking about last night! Doing something now."

"I thought you wanted to be an auror." Cass said. "Won't fighting against Voldemort interfere with that?"

"Auror training can wait." James said. "This is more important, and I can support us so we can fight full time."

"That doesn't sound for me." Cass muttered.

"At least come to the meeting Cass." James said. Cass nodded reluctantly.

"Fine." She said.

"It sounds like the right thing to do." Lily said firmly. "I'm in."

"Excellent, now what was your news?" James said, adjusting his glasses. Lily took a few deep breathes.

"I'm— I'm pregnant James." She's said. James stared at her for a moment.

"Pregnant?" He echoed. Lily nodded, biting her lip. James sat down on the toilet, lucyhimg onto the sink for support.

"And it's mine?" He said.

"Well, you're the only person I've slept with in over a year so yeah, I'm pretty sure it's yours." Lily said, rolling her eyes.

"Oh." James said. He stayed quiet for a moment. Cass and Lily exchanged nervous glances.

"James?" Lily said. "You're not mad are you?"

"Mad?" James said. "Of course I'm not mad! I'm over the moon Lils! I've always wanted kids, oh my god Lily this is the best news! I can't wait to tell kim and dad!" Lily sighed with relief.

"But, we're so young, and we're not married, and there's a war—" Lily said.

"All the more reason to do it then!" James said, jumping up and spinning Lily around. "I love you so much Lils, nothing is going to change that."

"I love you James." Lily said. James dug into his pocket.

"I planned on doing this in a much more romantic way — oi! Sirius! Hit the music!"

Light music began to play loudly through the house.

"Lily, I fell in love with you the moment I saw you. You are everything to me, you light up my life, and even if it took me six years to get you, it was worth every minute." James got down on one knee and pulled a small black box out of his pocket.

"So that's where yous were today, ring shopping." Cass murmured under her breath.

"So, Lily Evans, would you do me the absolute honour of becoming my wife?" James said. Lily looked like she was about to cry, one hand clasped over her mouth.

"Oh yes! Yes! Of course I will!" She cried.

"You will?" James said.

"Yes!" Lily said. "I love you so much James." James grinned and slipped the ring onto her finger.

"So this is it then." He said. "You're stuck with me now, we're going to grow old together and—" Lily put a hand over his mouth, smiling up at him, eyes full of love and adoration.

"Just shut up and kiss me."