-63-

Cass sat bolt upright in bed, trying to fix her hair. Her parents were coming today, and she wouldn't be surprised if they brought Avery. She picked up a book to distract herself just as the doors were flung open. She winced. Professor McGonagall lead Orion and Walburga Black into the room, Avery hot on their heels, just as Cass had expected.

"Good afternoon Cassiopeia." Walburga said stiffly.

"Hello mother." Cass murmured.

"You can leave us now Professor." Orion said. McGonagall looked at Cass, Cass avoided her eye.

"I will be over here, with Madam Pomfrey, should you need me." McGonagall said. Walburga gave her a glare. She sat down beside Cass.

"Well, how are you then?" She said.

"Fine." Cass mumbled, staring at the blanket on the bed.

"Look at me when I'm talking to you Cassiopeia." Walburga snapped. Cass flinched and looked up. "Those scars do not do wonders for you appearance." She traced her finger over one. Cass bit her tongue to stop herself from screaming.

"She's still beautiful to me." Avery said, smirking at Cass.

"Oh Avery dear, that's so sweet of you." Walburga simpered. Cass resisted rolling her eyes.

"You're almost of age now." Orion said.

"Well observed." Cass muttered under her breath.

"That means, you're almost old enough to begin your duty to the dark lord." Orion continued, choosing to ignore her comment. Cass raised her eyebrows. "Avery here said he would arrange a meeting at Christmas."

"Did he now?" Cass said, raising her eyebrows further. "How... nice of him." Avery grinned.

"We'll leave you two alone to talk, we should probably speak to your Professor about what happened." Walburga said, taking Orions arm.

"We'll be back." Orion said. Cass just nodded.

"Oh dear Cassiopeia, what a damn shame about what happened." Avery said, sitting down and taking Cass' hand. Cass snatched it away.

"I am not doing anything for Voldemort." Cass snapped. "Cancel any of the fucking meetings you've set up." Avery continued to grin.

"You'll do whatever I fucking tell you to." He said. "Or else."

"Or else what? You going to torture me again?" Cass said, trying to hide the fear from her voice. Avery fingered his wand.

"Maybe." He shrugged.

"You can't control me anymore." Cass said. "I'm done. I want out."

"I can't control you?" Avery echoed, laughing. Cass shook her head firmly. "Watch me." He pointed his wand at her. "Imperio." Cass' eyes glazed over. Avery forced her to get out of bed. He made her pick up a scalpel from the medicine cabinet and run it deep across the scars on her stomach and chest. Blood began pouring out of the freshly opened wounds. Avery lifted the curse and Cass gasped, falling to the floor. Avery knelt down beside her. "I fucking own you, bitch." He whispered in her ear. Cass screamed in pain. Madam Pomfrey came rushing out of her office.

"What happened?" She said to Avery. Avery removed the scalpel from Cass' hand and slid it into his robes.

"I don't know Madam Pomfrey, she stood up and collapsed to the floor." Avery covered his face in his hands. Madam Pomfrey pushed him out of the way and lifted Cass back onto the bed.

"Nurse, what is going on?" Walburga said. Madam Pomfrey didn't reply, muttering spells and pouring a few potions down Cass' throat.

"I think it would be best if you let Madam Pomfrey heal Cassiopeia in peace." McGonagall said. "I will take you up to the headmasters office, I believe you wished to speak to him." Walburga looked like she was about to say something but decided against it, following McGonagall out. Avery gave Cass one last smirk and did the same. Madam Pomfrey drew the curtains around Cass' bed and set to work healing her.

•••

"What do you mean I can't see her?" Sirius shouted. "She was fine yesterday!"

"Mr Black, calm down." Madam Pomfrey said. "I told you, there was a complication."

"What kind of complication?" Sirius asked, folding his arms.

"I don't know exactly what happened but your parents and Mr Avery visited today and-" Madam Pomfrey stopped talking as the colour drained from Sirius' face. "What's wrong Mr Black?"

"I need to see her. Five minutes, please." Sirius voice cracked. Madam Pomfrey sighed but nodded, letting him in. Sirius rushes to Cass' bedside. Cass has her eyes closed and looked as pale as she did when she was first brought into the hospital wing.

"Five minutes Mr Black, I mean it." Madam Pomfrey said.

"Oh Cassie, what happened?" Sirius murmured, taking Cass' hand. Cass didn't seem to know that he was there. Sirius sat for the next five minutes, transfixed on Cass. He was just getting up to leave when Cass squeezed his hand. Sirius looked back at her but she had not woken. He sighed and left the hospital wing, giving Madam Pomfrey a nod as he left. Remus was waiting for him.

"Hey, I thought you'd be longer." He said. Sirius sighed. "Everything okay?"

"No." Sirius said flatly. "She's back to being unconscious. There were 'complications'." Remus furrowed his eyebrows.

"What kind of complications?" He said.

"My parents kind of complications." Sirius said darkly. Remus led him towards the entrance hall, deciding that his patrols could wait. Sirius was on the verge of tears.

"Thank you for nothing Dumbledore." Sirius froze. He would recognise that voice anywhere, the voice of his mother. He stopped walking. Remus turned to him, his eyebrows raised. Sirius didn't move.

"What's wrong?" Remus said.

"Look who it is." Orion sneered. Remus' eyes widened with realisation. "Scum of the earth." Sirius looked up at me this fathers eye.

"I'm not a mirror." He spat. Orion grabbed his wand and pointed it at Sirius. Remus stepped in front of him protectively. Sirius gently moved him out of the way. "It's okay Rem." He whispered.

"Orion What are you- Oh." Walburga said. "You!"

"Yeah, me." Sirius said, jutting his chin out. "See, I survived your shitty spell."

"Why you insolent little blood traitor!" Walburga screamed, reaching for her own wand.

"Mrs Black!" Professor McGonagall shouted, hurrying towards them. "I must ask you to put your wand away, this is a school!"

"Some school, accepting all kinds of scum." Orion spat. "Mudbloods and blood traitors alike." McGonagall drew herself up to her full height and glared at him.

"We don't accept students to Hogwarts based on blood status." She said coldly. "I suggest that you leave the premises." Orion sneered at her and gave Sirius one last scathing look before storming out of the hall, Walburga following him. Remus put his arms around a shaking Sirius immediately.

"It's okay, they're gone." He whispered. Sirius cried into his chest.

"Are you alright Sirius?" McGonagall said.

"Y-yes." Sirius stammered. "I- I just- I wasn't expecting it." McGonagalls face was full of concern.

"I can assure you, they will not be returning to Hogwarts anytime soon." She said firmly. "Mr Lupin, could you take him back to Gryffindor tower?"

"Of course Professor." Remus said. "Come on Sirius." He gently removed his arms and took Sirius by the hand. Sirius allowed him to lead him up to the common room, to a concerned looking James and Peter. Remus let them take care of the distraught Sirius and hurried to meet Lily for the patrols.

"Remus! Where have you been?" Lily said.

"All over the place, Cass is worse, Sirius is a mess, his parents were here." Remus said, scuffing the corner of his trainer along the ground.

"What do you mean, Cass is worse?" Lily asked anxiously. Remus let out a small sigh.

"I don't know exactly. Sirius was in too much of a state to go into detail." Remus said. Lily's eyes softened and she pulled Remus into a hug. He stiffened slightly but relaxed into her grip. Lily took his arm and squeezed it tightly.

"Come on, the corridors won't patrol themselves."