-95-

"The healers said they couldn't find a pulse." Cass continued. Grace sank to her knees, stunned into silence. "It's all my fault."

"Hey, it's not your fault Cass." Sirius said, stroking her hair. "It's not."

"But he's dead because of my crazy ex boyfriend." Cass sobbed.

"He can't be dead." Grace croaked. "He just can't be. I've known him since I was three years old, he can't just die on me. That's not how it works!"

"Miss Black, please sit down on that bed." Madam Pomfrey said. They were in the hospital wing — Grace and Sirius had been escorted there for calming draught after Remus and Peter managed to get them back to Hogwarts.

"I need to go and see Noah." Cass said. "I can't stay here."

"You have to." Sirius whispered. "Cass, you're lucky to be alive. Please just let Madam Pomfrey take care of you." Cass didn't fight him as he pushed her gently down onto the bed. Grace looked like she was in a trance as Sirius went over to her and guided her to the bed beside Cass.

"Drink this Miss Fawley." Madam Pomfrey handed a potion to Grace. "And you Miss Black."

"If it's a dreamless potion, it won't work." Cass said, she had stopped crying but her voice had a dead tone to it.

"It's just a sleeping draught." Madam Pomfrey said. "I can't promise you won't have dreams but you'll at least get some sleep."

"I don't want sleep." Cass said flatly. "I want Noah." Her voice wavered slightly and she burst into floods of fresh tears. Grace climbed out of the bed she was in and into Cass', wrapping her arms around her.

"Mr Black, you seem to be fine. Please go back to your common room." Madam Pomfrey said. Sirius hesitated, looking at the two sobbing girls. "They're in good hands Mr Black."

"I'll be back in the morning." Sirius said, pressing a kiss to Cass' forehead. He gave Grace a hug before exiting the hospital wing. He walked up to the Gryffindor common room, in a daze.

He couldn't believe Noah was dead, Cass had to be wrong. He prayed that she was because he hadn't gotten the chance to thank Noah, for bringing his sister back out of her shell, for giving her confidence, for looking after her. His eyes watered as he reached the portrait hole.

"Firecrab." He muttered. The fat lady nodded at him and swung open. The common room was basically deserted. Sirius sighed with relief as he saw Remus, James, Peter, Lily, Marlene, Dorcas and Alice all waiting for him.

"It's not true." James said. "Please tell me it's not true."

"It's true." Sirius said thickly. "At least, that's what Cass says." James, who had stood up to greet him, sat back down and put his head in his hands.

"Is Cass alright?" Alice asked.

"I don't know." Sirius said. He collapsed onto the sofa beside Remus. Remus put an arm around him immediately. "She's a mess, she thinks it's her fault."

"Do we know for certain that Noah's dead?" Marlene said. Everyone winced.

"Not for certain, Cass said one of the healers couldn't find a pulse." Sirius said.

"So he might be okay?"

"Let's not get our hopes up." Dorcas muttered. "He looked pretty bad when they took him away."

"I think we should all try and get some sleep." James said. "We'll sort it out in the morning."

"I'm going for a smoke." Marlene announced. "Feel free to join me anyone."