-57-

Cass was so scared of having another nightmare that she refused to sleep. She staggered down to breakfast, practically falling onto the bench. Lily stared at her. She had large bags under her eyes and she was very pale.

"Are you okay Cass?" Lily asked. Cass blinked a few times.

"Yep." She said. "Just need to have some coffee." She grabbed a mug from the table, filling it with water. She waved her wand and it transformed into steaming hot coffee.

"When was the last time you slept?" Lily asked, trying to keep her tone light.

"What do you mean?" Cass said. "Last night of course." She stifled a yawn with her hand.

"Cass, you didn't sleep at all last night." Lily said quietly. "Everytime I woke up you were sitting bolt upright in bed with your book."

"You must not have woken up when I was asleep." Cass snapped. Lily pursed her lips.

"Good morning my lovely friends." Marlene said, swinging her leg over the bench and sitting down beside Lily. "Oh Cass is that coffee?" Cass nodded. "Could you do me a cup?" Cass nodded again and handed Marlene a mug.

"You're in a good mood." Lily said.

"Course I am, first day of classes isn't it?" Marlene grinned. "Means I can drop History of Magic and Divination."

"I know. Thank god." Dorcas chimed in, sitting down. "So weird that they waited this long to start classes. I mean, we've been back what? Four days?"

"I expect they wanted classes to start on a Monday." Cass said. McGonagall came round.

"Miss Evans, what subjects would you like to continue with?"

"Oh, um all of them except Astronomy and Care of Magical Creatures please." Lily said. McGonagall nodded, tapping the paper in front of her.

"I was most impressed with your results Miss Evans, well done."

"Thank you Professor." Lily said, going a bit red.

"Miss Black?"

"The same please." Cass said. McGonagall smiled at her and handed her her timetable.

"See you in Transfiguration Miss Black." She moved on. Cass downed her cup in a swig and left the table.

"Bye then." Lily said. Cass waved at her but was already halfway out of the hall.

"She's not sleeping." Dorcas said. "I got up to pee at like 4am and she was wide awake."

"I know." Lily said. "I kept waking up and she was always awake."

"Good morning my darling Lilyflower." James said, slinging an arm around her. Lily shoved him off.

"Bugger off Potter." She said, glaring at him.

"Ouch." James said, clutching his heart. "Right here Evans."

"Yes well, I have bigger things to worry about." Lily sighed. James just smiled and left. A thought dawned on Lily. "Wait, Potter!" She shouted. James turned around in surprise.

"Yes my dearest?"

"Have you noticed Cass is being..."

"Off?" James suggested. Lily nodded. "Yes, she nearly fell asleep when we were playing wizards chess."

"She isn't sleeping." Lily lowered her voice. "She hasn't properly since I woke her up on the first night. I think she's scared." James expression was serious for once.

"I'll talk to Sirius, thanks for telling me Lily." James said. Lily smiled.

"Keep me updated James." James hurried away. Lily was still smiling.