-35-

Remus rushed into the hospital wing. "Madam Pomfrey." He panted. Madam Pomfrey jumped up from her seat and grabbed a few things, then led Remus out of the hospital wing. Cass stared after them in confusion. It was fully dark. Cass checked the date. Ah, a full moon. Cass' theories were pretty much confirmed.

"Hello Cass." Sirius said. "Here's your work, Lily is working on some homework."

"Thanks Sirius. Where's Remus?" She said. "Just out of curiosity."

"He said he was visiting his mum, said she's not getting better." Sirius said. Cass nodded.

"How are things? How's classes?"

"Fine, James says hi. He is also quite confused as to why he's not allowed to see you."

"What did you tell him?" Cass said.

"Just you weren't really up to visitors. Pretty believable considering you'll only see me and Lily." Sirius said. Cass looked away. "I wish there was something I could do Cass."

"You don't have to do anything Sirius. You've got enough on your plate without worrying about me."

"Of course I worry Cass. I'm your brother, that's my job." Sirius said. "Have you heard from him?"

"Yes. Regulas told him I was in the hospital wing."

"That-"

"It was quite threatening honestly. Think he was worried I snitched."

"I hope you told him to go fuck himself." Sirius muttered. "I swear if he lays a hand on you again..."

"You'll do nothing." Cass said sternly. "It's my fault. I'm the one who does the stuff to piss him off."

"Yeah like breathe." Sirius said. Cass stopped talking. "I just don't want to see you dead Cass."

"And you won't." Cass said.

"I'm just-"

"Change the topic. How's your latest victim? What's her name again? Claire?"

"It's Blaire actually." Sirius said.

"I see. Well?"

•••

"Remus?" Cass asked sleepily. Remus nodded at her from the bed across.

"Afternoon." He said. He winced as Madan Pomfrey dabbed something on a cut on his shoulder.

"What happened to you?" Cass said.

"Oh I'm sorry Cass, I can't see you. I'm not up to visitors." Remus said coolly.

"Come on Rem. Don't be like that."  Cass sighed.

"You started it." Remus said. Madam Pomfrey left to attend to someone else. Remus got up out of his bed and came over. "We're all worried sick."

"I'm sorry." Cass said quietly. "I'm trying not to have this happen to me again."

"What? What are you talking about?" Remus said.

"You're not stupid Remus. Put the puzzle together." Cass shrugged. Realisation dawned on Remus.

"So Avery-"

"Please. Please don't say his name." Cass shuddered. "And don't tell James. Or Peter. And especially not Lily."

"I'm pretty sure they have their suspicions."

"Then let them. They can believe what the want. Lily is too busy with school to have time to think too close into in, Peter barely knows anything and James is too unobservant. They'll never put it together fully."