-44-

Sirius woke with a start. He grabbed his side, which was still rather sore. He felt rather lightheaded. The room he was in was unfamiliar. He started to panic, was he back at Grimmauld Place? He jumped out of bed and checked the door, finding it to be unlocked. He got dressed hastily. He was just pulling on a jumper when someone knocked on his door.

"Oh, come in." Sirius croaked.

"Glad to see you're alive mate." James said. He didn't look as if he had slept very well and his hair was even more messy than usual. James hugged him tightly. Sirius didn't say anything. "Happy new year by the way!"

"Happy new year." Sirius said. James straightened his glasses.

"Come on, mums just serving up breakfast." Sirius followed him downstairs.

"Sirius!" Euphemia said, putting the pan of bacon on the table. "Thank goodness you're awake." She gave him a tight squeeze. Sirius smiled at her.

"I'm so sorry for just turning up like that." He said.

"Don't be silly dear, I'm relieved you did. If we hadn't..." Euphemia trailed off. Fleamont cleared his throat.

"How are you feeling, Sirius?" He asked. Sirius looked surprised.

"I'm fine sir, a little bit sore but nothing major." Sirius mirrored James, sitting down at the table. Euphemia spooned mounds of eggs onto his plate, followed by bacon and sausage. Sirius thanked her, tucking in. He thought carefully through the previous nights events. Guilt hit him like a ton of bricks, he had left Cass. He had left her with them. He had to go back for her. Sirius finished his plate and automatically asked to be excused.

"Of course Sirius, you're not unwell are you?" Euphemia asked. Sirius stared at her. He remembered where he was.

"No m'am." He said.

"Would it be alright if Fleamont and I had a word with you?" She asked. Sirius nodded slowly.

"I'll just go then will I?" James asked.

"I think that would be helpful dear." Euphemia said. "Why don't you ask Remus round tomorrow?"

"Yeah, thanks mum I will." James said, he left the table.

"Let's sit somewhere more comfortable, shall we?" Euphemia said, she lead Sirius through to the living room. "Tea, Sirius?"

"Yes please." Sirius said. Euphemia handed him a cup of steaming tea which he accepted gratefully.

"Sirius," she said gently. "You were quite badly injured when you came last night, do you remember everything okay?" Sirius nodded, flashes of the evening came into his mind. "What happened to you?"

"A spell, I don't know what, hit me and then I started bleeding." Sirius said.

"Who hit you with the spell?" Euphemia asked. Sirius stayed silent. "Sirius?" Sirius put his head in his hands.

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't have come here. I'd better go.." Sirius said.

"You're not going anywhere Sirius." Euphemia said firmly. "Don't be silly, we love having you. Gives James something to do other than annoy us." She laughed slightly. The ghost of a smile flitted over Sirius' face.

"I don't think I'd be welcomed if I did go back." Sirius said bitterly. "She blasted me off of the tapestry, that's final in their eyes." Euphemia and Fleamont exchanged extremely worried looks.

"Sirius, did your mother hit you with that spell?" Fleamont asked quietly. Sirius looked at him.

"Yes sir." He said. He put his head back in his hands. Euphemia inhaled sharply.