-62-

September drew to a close and Cass was still in the hospital wing, unconscious. She was now allowed visitors and Sirius sat with her everyday after dinner until Remus came to collect him after his prefect rounds. Lily usually stopped by too, bringing Cass flowers. A steady collection of gifts was overtaking the bedside table of Cass' hospital bed. Madam Pomfrey said that Cass would heal, so long as she didn't over exert herself too quickly. She had three large scars running down her face and more on her chest and stomach. Sirius sat quietly in the hospital wing, holding Cass' hand and whispering countless apologies. Cass' arm twitched. Sirius dropped her hand in surprise.

"Cass?" He said.

"The one and only." Cass murmured, opening her eyes. She went to sit up but Sirius pushed her back down. "Where am I?"

"Hospital wing. Madam Pomfrey! She's awake!" Sirius shouted. Madam Pomfrey rushed over.

"How do you feel Miss Black?" She said, checking her temperature.

"Like I've been hit by the bloody Hogwarts Express." Cass groaned, rubbing her head. She went to sit up again but Madam Pomfrey pushed her firmly back down.

"Don't move." She commanded. "I need to change your bandages anyway, Mr Black I assume that Mr Lupin will be outside any minute."

"Oh er- yes I suppose so." Sirius said.

"I'll give you five minutes together, and then I almost ask that you let Cassiopeia rest."

"Rest? She's been out cold for over a week!" Sirius said.

"A week?" Cass squawked. "A whole week?"

"Yes." Sirius said impatiently. "It's October 3rd."

"Bloody hell." Cass mumbled.

"Cass, I'm so sorry. I didn't mean for the spell to hit you, I just-"

"Hey, don't apologise." Cass said. "It's not your fault, I hope you haven't been blaming yourself Sirius."

"Oh, he has." Remus said, strolling into the hospital wing. "The amount of times I've told him..." Sirius gave him a dirty look and folded his arms. "Good to see you're awake Cassie." Cass smiled at Remus and then turned back to Sirius.

"Sirius, it's not your fault. You didn't shoot the spell." Cass said.

"But if I hadn't ducked then-"

"It would have hit you." Cass said bluntly. "And then I'd probably be in deep shit for throttling Mulciber."

"I just feel so guilty." Sirius said, staring at his feet.

"Well don't." Cass said simply. "I don't blame you, so why should you? I'm glad you're not expelled at any rate." Sirius gave her a weak smile.

"Yeah well, now Dumbledore and McGonagall know that I don't live at Grimmauld anymore." Sirius said. "James told them." He added, seeing the confused expression on Cass' face. "It was for the best, I think Dumbledore would have written to them and then where would we be?" He leant back into Remus.

"Who are all of these cards and sweets and stuff from anyway?" Cass said, gesturing to the mounting pile of gifts. She picked up a small teddy bear.

"Get well soon presents." Remus said. "From all of your admirers." Cass rolled her eyes.

"Right, times up! Out!" Madam Pomfrey said, ushering Remus and Sirius out of the hospital wing.

•••

Cass woke with a start. She rubbed her side in pain. She turned over and nearly had a heart attack. Noah was sitting in the chair next to her bed.