-135-

The girls dormitory was buzzing with life, the five of them rushing about picking up different items of makeup and different hair tools. They had decided that getting ready the muggle way was a lot more fun than just a wave of a wand. Cass ran the straighteners through her hair, it not really needing much help as it was pretty straight naturally. Lily, on the other hand, was not so lucky, having to use a bit of sleakeazys hair potion to get hers to sit properly flat.

Cass smiled at her dress — it was a light blue full length ball gown, strapless, with beaded flowers on bodice and layers of light fabric cascading to the ground. She had fallen in love with it at first sight, immediately buying it.

Lily's dress was a deep emerald that brought out her eyes, Marlenes was red, Alices was a pale pink and Dorcas' was purple. Overall, the girls looked pretty fucking hot.

The small radio that Lily had charmed to work at Hogwarts blasted ABBA as they applied the final touches to their makeup. Alice paused one the middle of her eyeliner.

"Fuck guys." She said. "We only have two days left."

"It's mad." Marlene said. "Swear we got sorted yesterday."

"I don't know what I would do without you all." Alice said, her bottom lip wobbling slightly.

"Don't you dare cry Alice." Dorcas warned. "You'll ruin your makeup." 

"It's just so sad." Alice said.

"You're acting like we won't see each other ever again." Lily said. "When I know for a fact that we will see each other at least once a week every week, maybe less if people are like.. on holiday or something, probably until we die."

"We're not just going to stop being friends because we're not in Hogwarts anymore." Marlene said.

"I know, but it won't be the same." Alice sighed. "Cass is getting married for gods sake."

"Yeah, and you're all going to be bridesmaids at my wedding." Cass laughed. "Don't be so dramatic Ally."

"When are you even getting married?" Dorcas said. Cass shrugged.

"Dunno, there's not really any rush is there?"

"Suppose not." Marlene said.

"It's not going to be a big wedding, I couldn't handle that after... you know. It'll probably just be you guys, the boys, Noah's friends and family, Euphemia and Fleamont, and Minnie." Cass said. "Oh and the Tonks' and Clarisse."

"Fair enough." Lily said, turning back towards the mirror. "Shit, we have ten minutes."

"I just need to change." Cass said, reaching for her dress.

"Shit, I haven't even curled my hair." Alice said. Marlene picked up her wand.

"I'll just do it quickly babes, don't you worry."

•••

As they descended the stairs to the common room, where James, Sirius, Peter, Frank and Remus were waiting patiently, Cass felt her stomach lurch. Her dress felt too similar to the way her 'wedding' dress had felt, the weight of it, the way it sat on her chest. She shouldn't have gotten a strapless one, it was too similar. Her vision blurred slightly as she staggered down the last few steps, reaching out blindly for someone so she could ground herself.

"Hey, hey it's okay." James said, catching her as she stumbled. "You're okay Cassie."

"I'm okay." Cass mumbled. "I'm fine, it's fine."

"You're safe." James said. "It's okay."

"Safe." Cass repeated. "I'm safe."

"You're safe." James nodded. "You're good." Cass managed to pull herself out of her hazy state, the room refocusing and the feeling of dangling in the air fading. Lily was watching with a small frown, reaching out to squeeze Cass' shoulder.