30 - deja; vu

"Hey, how was your trip?"  You grinned as Riko came running into your arms for a hug. They were about to go off.

"It was really fun!" Riko continued to tell you all the things she did, the stupid activities she got to with Gojou, while Kuroi and Getou babysat them. You smiled, and listened, bringing Kuroi to the conversation as well, while Gojou and Getou talked to your fellow first years.

"Will you be boarding the same plane as us?" Kuroi asked.

You shook your head. "We're staying back for a bit longer so we can make sure everything's safe. So," you turned to Riko. "I do think this is the last time I say goodbye."

She froze, and you saw her fingers bunch into her skirt. It seemed to be a habit. You opened your arms, and she slowly leaned into your embrace. "I'm gonna miss you kid."

"Me too," she held onto you tighter. "I had fun."

You smiled. "Me too."

It felt like such deja vu.

"The flights cancelled," Nanami sighed, walking back towards you and Haibara.

You sighed and Haibara immediately grinned widely. Nanami narrowed his eyes at you. "What did you let him do?"

"He planned a whole vacation."

Nanami sighed.

"This is the beach they went to!" Haibara cheered as you slowly stepped into the sand. You rubbed your arms.

"I'm not really liking this," you muttered.

Haibara turned to you confused. He had quickly went into a shop near the beach that had swimsuits, since all you had were your uniforms, and came back with a one piece for you. And while generally, it was quite modest, this was outrageous for your family's standards.

"That's why I said we should have went somewhere else," Nanami sighed, as he unbuttoned the hawaiian shirt Haibara had gotten him. He handed it to you, and you quickly put it over you, thankful it covered a lot.

As you stepped closer to the water, Nanami whispered to Haibara. "You should know she comes from a modest family."

Haibara scratched the back of his neck sheepishly. "Sorry, I forgot. Are you fine though? I know you don't like attention and well.." Haibara's eyes darted to the group of people who stared at him, a few being ballsy enough to call Nanami over, and then back to him.

"It's fine, I don't care that much." Nanami shrugged it off, interrupted by your calls.

"Guys! Come on, the water's nice!" Haibara grinned at Nanami before running towards you. He watched as you immediately threw water on Haibara, the latter laughing loudly when you did so. The two of you then turned to him, mirroring each others happy grins. "Come on Kento!"

Nanami sighed, unable to stop a small smile on his face as well.

Nanami dipped his toe in the water and immediately stepped back. "You both are going to get pneumonia."

"Come on, Kento, loosen up!" Haibara yelled at him.

"No- what-!" You threw water on him when he was distracted. You and Haibara were howling in laughter as Nanami sighed, running his hand through his wet hair.

Haibara wolf whistled mischievously, but his grin dropped once Nanami stepped into the water, knowing this wouldn't end well. Behind your back, Nanami splashed water at you. You yelled and turned around, pushing the water in his direction.

The end result? The three of you drying yourselves, most definitely developing a cold after wrinkling up in the water for so long.

"Y/N," Haibara called out to you while you dried your hair. "Gojou-senpai is calling you."

"I didn't know he had my number," you muttered to yourself before taking your phone from Haibara and answering the call. "Hello?"

"Riko died."

You paused, taking it in. "Oh. She wanted to go ahead with it?"

"No," your eyebrows furrowed at that. "She got shot in the head."

"What? Weren't you two watchi- wait, no." It wasn't fair to blame them for anything. You didn't even know what happened. If something happened, it was serious and not just a small slip up on your senpais side. You knew that. "Are you alright?"

"I mean, I died."

"What?! Then- what?"

"Yeah. I used Shoko's technique though, I'm fine now. Getou's good too, since you're gonna ask. Kuroi's.. I actually don't even know. The merge happened. We thought you'd be here, you could've finally been useful."

"I'm sorry. That I wasn't there I mean." Nanami and Haibara quieted down from a little conversation they were having, listening to what you said now. "I should've been there."

"Yeah," Gojou said, sounding like he wasn't focused. "You in Tokyo yet?"

"No, our flight got cancelled. We're going on the next flight, in a couple of hours."

"Alright. See you later then."

You sighed. "Yeah."

You lowered the phone, not even ending the call. Nanami and Haibara got a gist of what had happened but it was confirmed when you frowned. "She's dead."

"Oh," Haibara frowned, before walking towards you wrapping his arm around your shoulder. You leaned your head on his shoulder. "You okay?"

"Yeah but I feel kinda.." Your chest squeezed. Your hand immediately clenched around the shirt Nanami had given you.

"It's alright to feel bad," Nanami reassured. "But it's not your fault."

You took in a breath, exhaling slowly. "I know."