71

The boys got shown their seats as the lunch was about to start. They let Melody walk around a bit on her own, but for the longest while she just sat there, admiring the beautiful plant that seemed to have been planted in her honor.

As much as Melody would have loved to believe differently, there was no way her father had had anything to do with this. He hated plants. He hated anything that didn't make him money. He had never even known about his daughter spending time here. There was only one person who knew to find her here, one person who always knew how to make her laugh. Arina.

Melody suddenly felt the urge to find the old maid. More than her own family, Melody wanted to know Arina was alright. The burning desire made her leap back to the greenhouse door, beg the doorman to open the door for her and after asking BTS for permission she was let outside.

She braved the cold to get to the main house where everyone was busy preparing the next course of the lunch. Melody watched the people work hard and hurry the prepared food to the greenhouse. She recognized none of them. Not one. Arina was no where to be seen.

Melody sat there for a bit longer, outside the main house looking through the window. The cold on her paws was barely noticeable anymore, the flame in her heart slowly dying as a realization dawned on her. Arina had been old. Her hands had been shaking the last time Melody saw her. She had started to forget things she would always remember. Her parents had been whispering about retirement. That was so many years ago already. Melody's heart seemed to freeze along with the ice on the window. Arina wouldn't be here. Not anymore.

Slowly Melody walked back to the greenhouse where she was let inside and took a seat underneath Yoongi's chair. The boys couldn't spend too much attention on her without being rude. She knew this. But just being a bit closer to them made her feel even the slightest bit better.

"Your cat sure is pretty." Li mentioned, looking at the fluffy tail that stuck out from Yoongi's chair.

"Yes she is." Yoongi answered lovingly. "We are lucky to have found her."

"You found her?!" Melody's step-mother seemed outraged. "Who would dare let such a cat roam alone?" Li tried to coax the cat to her side of the table, not caring about the proper manners at a time like this.

Melody hesitantly walked over and let the woman pet her with her warm hands.

"She is so gentle." Li complimented, seeing the cat softly melt into her palm. "How could this little one ever get by on her own?"

Hoseok didn't mean to think it, but his mind seemed to register that the way the lady looked at their 'pet' had a lot more love in it than when she looked at her new husband.

"You seem to really like cats." Jimin said, noticing the look in the woman's eyes as well.

"I do." She answered simply." There used to be this cat that would sneak into our garden in China. It was huge, grey, and absolutely pompous acting." Li laughed at the memory. "It loved to sit outside my father's office and just listen to my dad's voice. It must have liked me too, because according to my mom it hasn't visited since I moved here." 

"Really? what type of cat was it?" Namjoon asked.

"Oh, I can't be sure.. But it was HUGE for a housecat." Li smiled as she poured herself some of the soup that had just been brought from the main house.

"Do you have any pets here?" Seokjin asked. The grounds definitely being big enough for an entire zoo.

"I wouldn't want to bother the housemaids with something like that so soon after arriving here." Li confessed. "I already made them clean up this place." She gestured at the greenhouse all around her. "I did help of course." she reassured them.

"Aren't you from a rich house as well?" Taehyung asked confused. "Surely you'd be used to having help around."

Li took her time swallowing the spoonful of soup that she had just brought to her lips. She looked around to see if anyone else was listening along.

It seemed that despite her being the bride and the lady of the manor, not many people seemed to be paying her much attention.

"Oh, I am. It's just..." Li sighed, ready to confess. "When I just arrived here one of the older maids passed away and I- I found her diary."

The group stayed quiet.

"I got curious and I... read it." Li looked extremely guilty "I know I shouldn't have done that. But I told myself that surely she would appreciate someone knowing the true her." Li waved her hand in the air, waving away the horrible lie she had told herself. "Anyhow. I read it. And I read how she had felt. How much love she had for this family. Especially for my husbands daughter Luna." the woman gestured at the flower pot. "It's hard to add to the work load when you find out what they already go though." Li confessed.

Silence

Not a word was spoken for a short while after Li's confession of sudden realization of the humanity of the people around her.

Melody ducked away from her hand. Realizing what had just been said. conflicted by the woman's ignorance and her own pain.

Who's diary?

Who died?

She knew the answer.

There was only one person.

Melody's heart broke like it was made of the delicate porcelain that held the flowers she looked at together.