73

"What are you doing here?" Melody woke up as a low growling voice spat it's words out at her. She opened her eyes and saw a brown cat in front of her. He was massive .Closer in size to Bam (JK's Doberman) than to Yeontan (V's Pomeranian), and definitely much, much bigger than Melody in her cat-form.

If she hadn't been so scared she might have recognized the voice, or had more time to realize that this was in fact the first time another cat had spoken to her.

"I- I'm lost." Melody squeaked, hoping that this giant would be friendly enough to spare her.

"You don't belong here." The voice sneered again. "Don't ever come back."

Melody was about to leave her newly found hiding spot when the giant turned around and left her behind him. She had assumed he was talking about her spot. Close to a window of a semi-basement that let enough warmth through that all the snow around her had melted away. A crate with some cardboard gave her enough shelter from the breeze and it kept her away from human eyes. It was small, but then again, so was she.

A bit unsure if the big cat still wanted her to leave now, or if it had meant after she had taken a quick nap to recuperate her energy, Melody hid deeper behind the card-board and kept her eyes out for unwanted visitors.

-------

"The eldest had gotten drunk again." The man of the house explained to his new wife as he hung his coat on the coatrack. 

"Your brothers sure like to drink" his new wife giggled. She tried not to sound too judgmental about her newly added family, but the way her husband spoke of them didn't leave her with a good impression.

"Which is exactly why I didn't want to invite them over last Christmas." He pointed out, leaving her behind to go to his study in order to speak to the one guest that had stayed behind.

Cheng couldn't help but follow his new step-father. First with his eyes and then, when he lost sight of him, Cheng walked in his footsteps for more information.

Andrey, his new step-father, was still a big mystery to the boy. He never showed any emotion, he never participated in anything either Cheng or his mother showed interest in, and though Andrey was the one who proposed, it was clear he didn't care about this relationship at all.

"Have they contacted us yet?" Andrey's low voice demanded to know from his assistant who had been waiting for him for hours. 

"Not yet sir, but it has only been a day." a second voice answered. The second voice was much softer. So soft in fact, that Cheng had to almost press his ear against the door to be able to hear it.

"They have had MONTHS to prepare for this! Did I not send the invitations far ahead of time?" His step-father was clearly getting impatient and annoyed.

"But sir, it was a wedding perhaps they were too busy with the festivities to-"

A loud grunt of frustration came out of the room so loud that Cheng jumped back in surprise.

"Just tell me when they send the contract over. I've waited this long, what's one more day right?" Footsteps were coming closer and Cheng ran away as silent as he could. He was climbing up the stairs to his room when his step-father left the office.

The two men locked eyes.

"They find that cat yet?" He asked, trying to sound like he cared.

Cheng just shook his head and both men left it at that.

Andrey turned and left for the front of the house whilst Cheng continued to his room, looking down on the man that had his back towards him.

Maybe it was just his imagination... But Cheng could swear he saw a few brown hairs between all the grey ones.