Ch 33: Change

Su Sanmei smiled as she carried Su Xiaolu out of the chicken coop and walked around the courtyard.

Su Xiaolu looked into the house and struggled.

Su Sanmei sighed. “Simei, why do you like vats so much? Fine, let’s go take a look.”

1

Su Sanmei carried Su Xiaolu to the water vat and squatted down to let her play.

She did not notice that Su Xiaolu’s placed her hand on the water vat and a small stream of water flowed into the vat.

After playing for a while, Su Sanmei carried Su Xiaolu out again. Su Xiaolu stopped crying and yawned sleepily.

Su Sanmei carried her into the back room and put her on the bed, patting her gently.

Soon, Su Xiaolu fell asleep.

Su Sanmei covered Su Xiaolu with a blanket before leaving quietly. She was going to catch insects to reward their hen. It laid big eggs and gave them so many chicks.

When she passed by the chicken coop, Su Sanmei said to Madam Zhao, “Mother, Simei is asleep. I’ll go find some insects to feed the chicken.”

Madam Zhao nodded and said, “Go ahead. I will clean these eggshells.”

The 16 chicks, all out of their shells, filled the coop and chirped. The anxious hen cooed on the ground as well.

Recommended for you
If You Suffer From Knee and Hip Pain You Should Read This
Sponsored by news4ppl.com

Madam Zhao carefully placed the chicks on the ground one by one and watched as they ran under the wings of the hen. Then, she brought the nest down and cleaned out the eggshells inside.

Madam Zhao muttered to the hen, “You must protect your children well.”

Madam Zhao scattered the eggshells into the vegetable field before she went to the land not far away to cut grass to feed the rabbits at home.

The family did each of their jobs well and were extremely busy.

What made Madam Zhao the happiest was that every time Su Sanlang entered the mountains, he would return with something.

Some of the animals that died in the traps were skinned and marinated before they were hung above the stove to smoke them into cured meat.

The fur would be washed, dried, and made into shoes for the children.

By November, the family had already accumulated 25 taels of silver by relying on the wild animals in the mountains. The couple decided that they would go into town to find a doctor for the two children on the 20th of December.

However, what Madam Zhao did not know was that plans could never keep up with changes.

Su Sanlang’s family was getting better and better. It was impossible to hide it from the villagers. Gradually, people knew that Su Sanlang never missed whenever he went hunting in the mountains.

While the whole village was talking about how lucky Su Sanlang was and how much money he had made.

Because of this, Madam Wang was so angry that she fell sick.

The reason why Madam Wang fell sick was also because she often cursed Su Sanlang in her courtyard. Su Sanlang was not affected by it, but she was depressed because of it. Her pent up anger caused her to fall sick, and her mouth was full of blisters, causing her to suffer.

8

As he knew that Su Sanlang’s family was doing well, Old Master Su was unhappy too.

Meanwhile, since Su Sanlang’s family had left, Su Dalang and Su Erlang, who had to do more labor, were not having a good time either. There was no need to mention Madam Li and Madam Zhou. They had once imagined that they would have a good life after kicking the third branch out. Instead, they were suffering even more.