Wildflowers

"What is this place?" Alec asked, walking behind his mate, looking at the forest and the sunlight that split a little between the trees

"What is this place?" Alec asked, walking behind his mate, looking at the forest and the sunlight that split a little between the trees. Madilyn looked back and smiled innocently at him and Alec took a step closer and took the girl's hand in his and squeezed it. Madilyn's eyes looked at their locked hands and slowly rose to meet the eyes of the brown haired Volturi.

They had stopped in place and Alec looked into her blue eyes where the sunlight hit.  Madilyn did the same to Alec, watching as the small rays of sunlight hit his pale face, bringing out the sparkle. They were surrounded by wildflowers.

"You know, I thought you were going to answer me no." Alec broke the silence but kept his eyes on the girl's as they wandered over to his face. Madilyn's eyes met his bright red ones and a smile appeared on the girl's lips. "You thought wrong." She replied with a small grin and Alec raised a hand to stroke her cheek.

Soon he lowered his hand, taking Madilyn's left hand and looking at the ring. "I don't want to argue, but I sense that something has pressed your mind at some time already." Alec spoke cautiously, watching the dark haired girl's facial expressions.

"I beg you, don't say it's nothing." He continued and Madilyn swallowed a lump in her throat.

Madilyn took both of Alec's hands and raised them to her chest, taking a deep breath. "I don't know how to tell you…" She started and Alec narrowed his eyes. "How so?" He asked in wonder and Madilyn licked her lips.

"You're still a Volturi though and…" Alec soon cut her off. "A lot of vampire laws have been broken in this town, and Jane and I have watched it through our fingers. Jane and I will be in trouble if Aro wants to read our minds when he needs us back in Italy." Alec explained, pulling Madilyn closer.

Madilyn purses her lips and looks up. "The original witch is not our only concern." She told and Alec raised an eyebrow questioningly. "Then who is it?" He asked.

"It was always just a scary bedtime story, that she once took the firstborn of the family." Madilyn started to tell and Alec looked around taking in the words and Madilyn continued. "She's coming sooner or later."

"Why she's coming?" Alec asked in confusion and Madilyn avoided eyecontact now.

They were interrupted by Madilyn's phone starting to ring. She dug it out of her jacket pocket and looked at the caller's name.

"It's Kol." Madilyn said and Alec nodded stepping further away.

༺♡♡༻

Today my tears slowed for a moment
and the words began to flow, I feel empty, deep inside.

I clenched my fist, I grith my teeth. My mind is mess. This is second time someone took you away from me.

'I shouted at death, like death could hear me.
"This isn't fair." And I asked a thousand whys. All my questions, doubts and fears, were answered with silence.'

Fear took over Madilyn's body, this can't happen, not again. She ran so fast and soon arrived to see Kol lying weak on the floor, surrounded by the Mikaelson siblings.

"He's dying." Klaus muttered quietly, standing further away, staring into nothingness. Rebekah's red puffy eyes shot up from Kol to Madilyn who fell to her knees next to her dear friend.

"How...?"

"Finn cursed him."

"I apologize for everything Madilyn." Kol was coughing up blood and his voice was weak. Madilyn took Kol's hand and felt tears fall from her eyes. "Shh." Madilyn shaked her head, looking at Davina who was also crying next to Kol.

"I won't let you die." Madilyn was about to close her eyes but Davina spoke with her trembling voice. "I tried to."

Madilyn closed her eyes and began to mumble words that got faster word by word, but in vain she took a deep breath and opened them again. "No, this can't happen, someone is stopping me."

Kol weakly shook his friend's hand. "It's okay Mad. I'm glad I met you even though we met on a bad note.  Ever since then you've been important to me. It was the happiest time of my life when I got to help you because I hated Klaus so much. I never thought that I would find my best friend who is still by my side today. Jason too." Kol spoke looking behind Madilyn as Jason arrived.

"I got a message." Jason spoke looking horrified as Kol lay on the ground. "I can help." He continued, getting Klaus and Elijah's attention. "No Jason, everything is fine." Kol replied coughing up more blood and raised his index finger to his lips. "But it's time to go."

"I will bring you back, I will avenge everything." Madilyn spoke looking her friend in the eyes and Kol nodded with a smile. "Take care of yourselves, both of you." He spoke and Madilyn closed her eyes again. Her thoughts raced through her mind, drowning out Kol's words to his siblings and Davina. She sat with her eyes closed, listening to Kol's last heartbeats beating slowly and soon stopping.

Everything went quiet.

Eerily quiet.

And Madilyn finally opened her eyes, which were dark, without any emotion.

༺♡♡༻

Madilyn and Jason both walked inside the apartment, where the twins were waiting for them. Alec and Jane both looked up from their books and watched the duo walk into the room. "He's dead, again." Jason muttered quietly but the twins heard him clearly, Alec slowly got up from the couch looking at his mate who was standing in the doorway quietly, leaning back with her arms crossed over her chest.

"My love?" Alec said softly and Madilyn's eyes soon lifted from the floor to him.
Alec pinched the skin between his brows, looking at Madilyn whose eyes looked empty. He took steps closer, but the girl's expression and gestures did not change.

"Are you okay?" He asked and Madilyn stepped aside. "Yes, everything is fine. Kol's death for the second time feels bad. Like this time something will fail. The first time there was still hope because the other side existed." Madilyn explained, her voice was colder than ever, even Jane felt cold shivers on her body. Something was wrong.

Madilyn made eye contact with the twins and they could see the calm before the storm. Lack of expression, coldness and anger.