PROLOGUE

Karina was certain that she could say there was no such thing as a perfect family. She knew that some kids had it better than most, but sadly she wasn't one of those kids.

From the moment that Karina was born into this world, her parents were overjoyed with her arrival. Her father, Andrew had hoped for a boy, but he still loved Karina with every fiber in his being. He planned on spoiling her rotten and giving her everything that she could ever want.

Karina was a spitting image of her mother Aurora, but she did have her father's nose and ears. The detail may be small, but Andrew took pride that they shared some similarities. Afterall, she was his little princess.

At this point, things for the small family of three seemed perfect. They were in their own little bubble of happiness, and it seemed as if nothing would ever pop that bubble.

They were wrong.

When Karina got older, Andrew wanted to try for another kid. He genuinely wanted a boy, despite loving Karina, he's always wanted a boy even if it's just one. It didn't help that Andrew was raised to believe that only the boys can take over the business, a stereotype that Aurora has constantly told him wasn't the case.

However, Aurora refused.

Her pregnancy with Karina was a risk as it was, there were complications and they feared that neither of the two would survive but when they both did, it was deemed to be a miracle. Aurora knew that having another baby would put her life at risk again, especially the baby's life, and she couldn't do it.

For a moment, Aurora believed that Andrew had settled with the fact that Karina would be his heir to the business when he stopped asking. Oh, how wrong she was.

On Karina's sixth birthday, Aurora learned about the affair he had been having behind her back. When he filed for divorce a month later, she had no choice but to sign the papers because she wouldn't fight his decision. What hurt the most though was when she learned that Andrew and his new wife were pregnant.

She didn't want to think about it though.

Despite the divorce, Aurora stayed in the estate alongside Karina. The two spent time together and while Aurora tried to encourage Karina to interact with her father, Karina wasn't comfortable around him when he was with his new wife. She didn't understand the new woman in her father's life, but she saw how her mother looked and it hurt her.

Andrew had no choice but to watch from the sidelines as Aurora raised Karina on her own. He wanted to interact with her but every time he tried, his wife was there, and Karina would go the opposite direction.

"Tell me the legends again." Six-year-old Karina pleaded with her mother.

Aurora giggled and smiled at Karina. "Which ones?"

Karina hummed in thought before a wide smile appeared on her face. "Both! I want to know about the wolves and vampires again!"

Aurora could never tell Karina no. "Alright, come my Sunflower." Aurora motioned her over to where she stood by the vanity, hairbrush in hand. "Let me brush your hair as well then."

Karina did as her mother said and sat in front of her on the seat. She listened with a smile on her face as she heard the familiar stories that she's so fond of. Unbeknownst to both girls, Andrew was leaning against the wall outside of Karina's room, listening with a smile of his own.

Fast forward, when Karina was ten and William was four, Aurora left the Baxter Estate.

"Mommy please!" Karina cried as she clung onto Aurora's legs. "Please don't leave me here." She pleaded with a sob.