xxxii.

chapter thirty-two.

Karina couldn't sleep that night.

Charlie had arrived at Aurora's house and broke down, Harry had passed away and he was crushed. Karina felt her heart break for him as he cried over his friend and Karina remembered how once upon time, that was her mother.

Charlie had been there for Aurora when Andrew died and now Aurora was going to be there for him. No matter what.

Karina was shocked to learn about Quil's phasing, as well as Leah and Seth's. Leah was only 19 while her brother was 14, the youngest to ever phase. Karina heard the rumors, how Leah's phasing was the reason for Harry's death or so that's what Paul told her when he told her about how that's all she thought about.

Leah blamed herself for her father's death and Karina could sympathize with her, because she too blamed herself for not paying attention just a little bit more that day. Had she done so, her father would still be there. Still, breathing, still standing and worrying about her and William.

Via text message, Karina learned that Alice had come back only to leave the day of Harry's funeral with Bella and Javier. Karina was angry with the two but didn't voice it, instead she stood beside her mother in trying to cheer up a distraught Charlie. First his best friend was gone and now Bella, again? It was crushing.

"Karina, come inside." Sam's voice called out to her, but Karina didn't move from her place in Emily's garden.

The alpha sighed, looking at Karina concerned before Emily placed a hand on his shoulder. "I got this." She told him, placing a kiss on his cheek before walking over to Karina.

Karina felt Emily before she even sat down, and her body relaxed slightly in her presence. "Hey Em."

"You want to talk about it?" Emily asked her, her tone comforting and letting Karina know that she was there for her.

Karina's eyes glossed over as she stared at the trees around them and remembered what had happened earlier.

Karina and William glanced at one another warily as they could hear light yelling coming from downstairs. Karina placed a finger on her lips and William nodded his head, copying her actions.

Karina walked closer to the stairs until she was at the top step and then she could hear everything clearer. Charlie and Aurora were arguing.

"I'm not breaking up with you Aurora." Charlie stressed and Karina felt her heart sink.

"Then what are you saying Charlie?" Aurora asked him and Karina could hear the pain in her voice. "Because I don't understand."

"My best friend died Aurora." Charlie broke and Karina heard him sigh heavily. "I just want time." He told her, almost pleading with her to understand where he was coming from. "I know that you probably don't understand but-"

Aurora cut him off and Karina knew that it was his grief talking but it was like a blow to the gut for Aurora. "I don't understand? I lost my ex-husband, the man who I first loved, the first man that I have ever loved, and you think that I wouldn't understand? You were there when I was crying, hell you were the one that held me as I sobbed. Andrew wasn't just my husband Charlie, he was my best friend too and while I lost him a long time ago, it didn't change anything."

Karina felt her heart break as she knew what was coming. It was like she could hear what Charlie was about to say and she begged him not to say it.

"It's different, Aurora." Charlie told her and Karina cringed, god why did he say that?

"Get out." Aurora demanded and that was it. "I know that you're grieving but I will not let you tell me how grief works when I've lost a lot in my life too. So, get out. We're done."