xxxi.

chapter thirty-one.

The next morning, Karina was invited to Emily's for breakfast.

She learned from via text message, thanks to Javier and Paul, that Jacob managed to go around Sam's order and helped Bella figure out what was wrong.

Karina was already in a foul mood, she had spent the previous night filling Rosalie in on how the bond is strained and how the puking was normal because it was happening to Javier too. It was a lie, but it was what Karina had made her believe with her mental manipulation. She hated using her ability but if it kept Rosalie from telling people then so be it.

Karina hugged herself as she rounded the house towards the back. "Excellent. If the redhead's after Bella, we've got bait." Jared's voice piped up.

Karina snarled as she approached the group in Emily's garden. She lifted her hand and instantly Jared was flung backwards and out of his spot. She smirked at him when he glared at her from his new seat on the ground.

"You touch Bella, I hurt you." She promised but refused to meet Bella's gaze.

While she was still mad at Bella, Karina still planned on keeping her safe no matter the cost. Karina sat down in between Paul and Javier, instantly grabbing some food from the large breakfast that Emily had prepared for the endless pits known as wolves.

"I should leave town." Bella stated and Karina scoffed.

"Victoria will follow you and make it harder for us to catch her." Sam told her, dismissing the idea entirely.

Bella shook her head, "No one can catch her. She can escape anything."

"Thanks for believing in us." Javier spoke bitterly and Bella instantly felt bad. "It's not like we were born to be faster and more lethal than vampires."

"She has special powers." Paul joked and Karina nudged him softly.

"Some of them do." Bella muttered and Karina noticed everyone feign shock, aside from Jacob who actually did look confused.

Karina knew that they were pretending to be confused, she had told them about the Cullen's, and this was a test to see if Bella could be trusted or not.

"Like... what? Bella?" Jacob asked her.

"The mind reader you said you knew. He was a suck head? Can they all do that?" Jared shot out a question.

"That would blow." Embry commented and Karina hummed in agreement.

"No, I -- shouldn't have - no." Bella stuttered, and Karina closed her eyes softly, Bella had failed.

"She's still protecting them." Paul scoffed before taking another bite of his food.

Jared, confused, said. "I don't know why. It's not like they stuck around to protect you."

"Guys, back off." Jacob snapped and Karina rolled her eyes at him. Jacob looked apologetically at Bella.

By nightfall, Jacob had left to take Bella home after she had been sworn to secrecy. Karina lingered beside Paul and Javier and once they were sure Jacob was gone, Sam nodded at Karina. Her eyes flashed red before the room was engulfed in her red mist.

"I can't hear his thoughts." Paul confirmed, letting it be known that it was now safe.

Sam crossed his arms over his chest. "What are our thoughts on Bella?"

"She's loyal." Karina spoke up before anyone else could. "She's in love with Edward and isn't going to tell you anything. Victoria wants the both of us, Bella more since she's not dying."

"So, Bella is bait then?" Jared spoke up and Karina glared at him. "I'm just saying! If we're not trusting her but we're going to protect her, doesn't that make her bait?"

"Yes and no." Sam spoke up and Karina shook her head before resting it on Javier's arm. "While Bella is the target, our main goal is to protect the town from the leech."

"Great." Karina removed the cancellation ability from the room. "Now that that's been decided, let's talk about-"

Karina was cut off by the sound of the phone ringing. She watched as Sam walked over and picked up the phone, his entire body freezing as he listened to the words that were being spoken.

Sam nearly broke the phone in his hand and Karina was extremely worried, as he turned to the group with a heartbroken look on his face. "Harry Clearwater had a heart attack."

God, nothing can go right! Karina thought as she held onto Javier's hand tightly.

Karina was at home, Paul had escorted both her and Javier there before going to meet Sam at the hospital with the promise to keep them updated.

Javier sat on her couch with a faraway look on his face when he suddenly stiffened. "She's back." He whispered and the words didn't even completely register until Javier was up and running out of the house.

"Javi!" Karina shouted after him, but didn't follow since there was no way that she would catch up to him.

Letting out a sigh, Karina shut the door and walked back over to her couch. Just as she was about to sit down, the front door burst open and Karina jumped when Rosalie stood there, looking guilty.

"I did a bad thing Rina." She confessed and Karina motioned her inside. Rosalie closed the door and sat down, "I called Edward, and my intentions were selfish."

Karina frowned, "Rose what happened?"

"Alice said that she saw Bella dying." Rosalie stated and Karina connected the dots. "I called Edward, holding hope that he would come home and mend the family but I-"

Karina shushed her, simply pulling her into a hug. "You told him that Bella died, didn't you?" Rosalie nodded and Karina sighed. "What happened?"

"He hung up on me." She stated and Karina hummed, rubbing Rosalie's arm.

"He'll be okay." Karina promised but something about those words made her stomach turn.