The Student Council

We all had a meal and returned to our rooms. After a while, I heard the nighttime announcement, but knew full well that I wouldn't be able to sleep. I got off my bed and walked outside.

I felt the breeze as I walked around this cage we were kept in. But... Why did the breeze, the stars, the sky even... why'd they feel fake? I took off my shoes and put my feet in the grass. I didn't have to worry about getting bitten or something because all the bugs were in Gonta's research lab.

I smiled and lied down in the grass. I don't know why, but I hoped that Kokichi came again, and lay down next to me. I heard the door to the dormitories open and sat up. "Shuichi?"

Ah, they're training again. I got up and put on my shoes. "Y/N?" I looked up and saw that Shuichi had noticed me. "O-oh, hey Shuichi. You training with... Kaito?" I saw Kaito walking next to Maki as they left the dormitories.

"Sorry I'm late, I had trouble bringing her." Kaito apologised. "Oh, Y/N! Are you training, too?" I shook my head. "I just happened to be out here at the same time as you guys. Good evening Maki!" She waved. "So what am I doing here?"

"We're gonna train!" Kaito said. "It's better to train with three people instead of two, right?" I sat on the picnic table to watch.

"Is that why you brought me here? I'm leaving." Maki turned around to leave but, "Wait, Maki." She turned around and faced Kaito. He got super close to her face. "Why do you keep running away?"

"What?"

Kaito moved back a little. "You keep running away. You're not the big scary murderer everyone thinks you are. You keep running away." He looked Maki up and down. "Who's your enemy? Whoever or whatever it is, you keep running away from them. But, if you want to stand up against it, even just a little..." I smiled. "We'll stand with you, too."

Maki looked away for a moment. "Fine... I'll train with you guys." Shuichi looked confused. "D-don't get the wrong idea, it's just because he won't stop nagging me about it later if I refuse." The first thing was 100 push-ups. I was the one who was counting.

"Maki's done." I said. She stood up. "Kaito, you're only at 35... Shuichi, you're about the same." I walked back with Maki while Shuichi and Kaito continued talking. "So, Maki..." I began. "Did Kaito's speech actually motivate you?"

She looked away from me. "A little bit, but it's not like that will change everyone else's opinion on me." I sighed and looked at the sky. "I don't understand why they're afraid of you all of a sudden. It's not like you're any different from before." I looked back at the boys, who were already on the ground, continuing their training.

Maki and I went inside. "Have a good night, Maki!" I said. "Yeah, you too." I lied down in bed and actually had a nice slumber.

...

The next morning, we were told to go to the gym. When I arrived, it looked just like after Rantaro's death: all clean. Like nothing ever happened, but I know it did.

Miu told Shuichi that she was tinkering around with the computer last night. "So that's why I didn't hear anything from her research lab."

I looked at Kiibo, who was looking at the ground. "Jealous, Kiibo?" Kiyo asked. Wait, what? "N-no! I'd never be jealous of a computer!" Wait, WHAT?

"Guys, am I hallucinating or something? Why would she be here?" Kokichi pointed at Maki. "Oh, calm down Kokichi." I said. "It's not like she's done anything bad to us so far."

Angie shook her head. "But maybe it's for the best. We do not need killing and death in our peaceful school!" I was about to speak up when Himiko and Tsumugi said. "Yes, what Angie said." Since when did they agree with Angie? Suddenly, the gym doors burst open and Gonta ran through them. "Everyone! It serious!"