Promise

The monitor showed up above Monokuma and the spinner landed on Kaito. You stared at the floor, unable to process what was happening.

"Well, I'm glad you voted for the right person!" Kaito said. "It was awfully hard to act like Kokichi, though. But he wrote most of his lines." He handed you the script that Kokichi had written.

You flipped through the pages and saw Kokichis familiar handwriting. "So this was what it was." You mumbled. "What do you mean?" You looked up at Kaito.

"I... I would hang out with him sometimes, in his room. This was on his table, but I thought it was a book from the library or something."

Kaito said that Shuichi basically got it on point. "Kokichi told me that he had been planning this for a while. He had said that he wanted to trick us into thinking that he was the mastermind. Kokichi said..."

"The reason why I pretended to be the mastermind... was to end this boring killing game!"

You covered your mouth. Not in surprise, but in grief. Kaito continued explaining, but you hadn't quite listened.

"Kokichi said that Maki tried to kill him because the mastermind wanted it to happen." Shuichi assumed it was the Flashback Light found on the dining table. "I'm not sure what the Flashback Light was about, but that's its own mystery." Kaito continued. "I asked who the true mastermind was, but he claimed not to know either. But it didn't matter, according to him..."

"We can't lose... this game is pointless... unless you win. So when... I'm on the verge of losing... I need you... to kill me."

"He wanted the victim to be unknown, make Monokuma think it was either him or Maki Roll, and his ruling would be invalid because I showed up. And then the killing game would be over." Shuichi looked at Kaito, confused. "How would that end the killing game?"

Kaito nodded. "Well, I asked Kokichi, and he said that Monokuma and the mastermind had their own set of rules they had to follow. It had to be fair. I asked him why he thought that and he said that killing games are meant to be watched. There wouldn't be a point to this game if it wasn't. That's why Monokuma had specific rules, and why he wanted the game to be interesting."

"Wait, but aren't we the only ones left?" Tsumugi asked. Kaito nodded. "That's what I thought too, but after this trial, I'm sure we're being watched. Monokuma couldn't afford to get it wrong, so he relied on Shuichi's detective skills."

"But why did you cooperate?" Maki asked, not facing him. "Because... he reminded me that if I didn't... you'd become the blackened. And he wanted to end the killing game, in the weirdest way possible, but he did want to."

Maki's eyes widened, both in disbelief and in guilt. "He blackmailed you into cooperating by using me?" He shook his head and claimed he was in by "ruin the killing game."

You walked over to him and gently opened his mouth. "That's another reason why, right?" He nodded. "B-But you said you were fine!" Maki said.

"Sorry, that was a lie. But I was fine when I passed the medical exam for my training." Kaito recalled. "I think it's the virus, from the meteorites." Shuichi assumed.

"But.. you hated Kokichi." K1-B0 said. "Why are you acting like he's your partner?" Kaito shook his head. "No, I still hate his guts. But... something he said..."

"But the whole time you were saying you loved this killing game."

"That was a lie... obviously. How could a game you're forced to play... be fun? I had to think this game was fun to survive... I had to lie to myself! The bastards who created this game to toy with our lives... and the sh!ts enjoying it... THEY ALL PISS ME OFF! That's why I'm willing to do whatever I can to end this killing game!"