You're Not Perfect... But I Like You That Way

You sat on the roof of the Future Foundation, looking down at the city below. "Y/N?" You turned your head and saw Rantaro walking up the stairs of the roof. He walked up and sat down at the edge of the roof.

"You looked upset when you came... wanna talk about it?" You shook your head and looked at your folded hands. It was quiet. In all honesty, you didn't mind. Rantaro glanced at you, then at the sky.

"Do you really believe what you told Kokichi?"

Your eyes widened and you looked at him. "How did you-" "Kokichi told me. I was the only one up when he came back." He sighed. "So do you?" After a moment of silence, you screamed. "Yes!! Yes I do, alright?!"

His eyes widened as you buried your face in your hands. "I can't.... do anything." 

"And what makes you say that?" Rantaro asked. You chuckled. "Oh yeah, you weren't really there for anything, were you?" You leaned back on your hands and looked at the stars in the sky.

"During class trials, what do you think I was doing?"

"Um... presenting evidence and stuff?"

"Yep! Everything... that Shuichi could do."

"I-I'm sure you were helpful-"

"Yeah, I was! When no one needed me to be. Other times, I was a burden."

"What are you talking about?"

You lifted your leg and showed him the bruises and scratches that had appeared before. "I didn't get immediate surgery for this, so it didn't heal properly. I couldn't stand for very long, and I remember I had temporary crutches." You let your leg dangle from the edge of the roof.

"I kept falling. And then Miu swearing made it hard to focus. And the mention of... killing onself was a terrible trigger without me knowing why. I was nothing but a burden to everyone." Forcing a smile, you looked down. "Kokichi was always there for me... I don't deserve it."

Rantaro's lips parted a bit, his eyebrows furrowed in worry. "Look, I may have not been there for anything but," He put his hand on your shoulder. "I know that you were anything but." He got up and walked away, leaving you on the roof.

Your eyes watered. "You have no idea..." "No, you have no idea." Your eyes widened and you quickly wiped away your tears. "Kokichi, I-" You felt someone grip onto your shoulders from behind.

"Y/N, you're lucky I'm even taking the time to do this." He sat down next to you. "You're amazing, and I don't understand why you would think that about yourself. You got the Ultimate Supreme Leader to like you, so..."

He shook his head. He wasn't gonna get anywhere with this. "Look, Y/N, you're one of the most amazing people I've met, and I don't understand why you can't just understand that simply." He put his hand over yours. "You're the one who changed so many of our lives. And you think you're useless?"

Your eyes widened. "I... what?" He folded his hands in his laps and grinned. "Man, you're so clueless that you don't know about any of that either?" He stood up and walked away. "Trust me, Y/N. The best thing you did for us was just exist." He giggled.

"You're not perfect... but I like you that way."

Short chapter today, but it won't be like that for long, dw