How long?

This is a request by petrova890 , hope you enjoy!

Another night. You have spent another night waiting around the compound for Klaus to come home. He said he would only be out for an hour but it's been almost 6. He had been doing this a lot lately, you had originally thought maybe he ran into some complications but you had your suspicions. And tonight only confirmed that.

You were sitting in the study waiting for your husband to come home when Elijah walked in. Your eyebrows furrowed in confusion. Didn't Nik say that he was gonna be with Elijah. If Elijah was home shouldn't he be too? He really is lying to you isn't he?

"Cassandra."

"Elijah."

You play with your fingers in your lap while you contemplate on telling him about your suspicions. Your pulled out of your thoughts when he starts to speak to you.

"Whatever your contemplating over there, you can tell me about it. You can always talk to me you know that right?"

You sigh, turning your head to face Elijah who now sat next to you on the couch.

"It's just-," You laugh dryly, trying to cover up your insecurities. "I think Nik is cheating on me."

You notice Elijah's demeanor change drastically. His body tenses, his jaw clenches, and his knuckles turn white from griping his glass. He didn't mean to, but he confirmed your suspicions.

"He is, isn't he?"

He couldn't meet your gaze and you feel your heart shatter. You may have suspected it but you didn't want to believe that it was true.

"How long?"

Your voice cracks as you try to remember when he started to stay out late and lie to you. You couldn't trace down an exact moment, but you realized it's been going on for at least a couple months.

"A couple months."

You nod slowly, taking the drink from his hand and downing it in one shot.

"Who is it?"

"I think you should talk to Niklaus-"

"Who is it, Elijah?"

"Camille."

Great, the one person he told you not to worry about. You had been insecure about their relationship, wondering if they had feelings for each other. I guess I really should've trusted my gut with that one, huh?

"And how long have you known?"

"An hour."

"An hour?"

"Came in here to try and tell you myself. I gave Niklaus the option to and he just denied it and said he'd dagger me if I told you. I figured you had the right to know, no matter the consequences for me."

You nod again before getting up and placing the glass back on the table. You look around the room before facing Elijah again.

"Ok well, thank you for telling me."

You start to walk out of the room before he stops you.

"And what's your next step?"

"I don't know, pack a few bags and find some place to travel to. I was think that Greece might be nice. Do you have any suggestions?"

"Your just gonna leave? Without talking to him?"

"Well if he can't tell me that he's cheating on me himself, then I figured I don't need to tell him I'm leaving. Plus, I think i've wasted enough time on him anyways."

Your voice starts to get quieter and quieter as you fight back more tears. Elijah pulls you into a hug as a sob rakes through your body.

"I mean 167 years is a long time to just end up cheating."

"I know and I'm sorry."

You scoff in disbelief as you pull away from Elijah.

"Your sorry? You can't control him, Elijah. His actions are not your fault. Now are you gonna help me pack or what?"

And that's what you do. You pack a few bags, book a plane ticket, and write a letter to Klaus leaving it next to divorce papers with your signature on it.

"Don't hesitate to call. If you need anything Y/N, just call."

"I will. Just tell your siblings they can still call too. I don't want to lose all contact with you guys."

——————————————

Dear Klaus,

I'm sure you've already figured it out by now due to my absence and lack of clothes in the closet or maybe Elijah told you, I don't know. But why not write a letter?

Elijah told me about your affair with Camille. Don't dagger him for telling me, I already had my suspicions, he only confirmed them for me. I thought we were better than this, I thought you were better than this. I guess you love to prove me wrong, right?

If she makes you happy, then be with her. I just wish you had the guts to tell me you stopped loving me or wanted to be with her. I wish I was enough for you. I wish my love was enough for you. But I guess I've fallen short again.

You've broken me. Don't bother to call or text or come looking for me. Don't ask your siblings where I am or for my new number. I've decided to leave, start a new life. I don't want to speak to you. I don't want to see you. I don't want to be married to you. Sign the divorce papers, don't make this harder than it has to be.

I love you. Some part of me will always love you. I hope your happy Klaus. I hope she can make you happier than I ever could. You will probably be better without me anyways.

Cassandra

"Elijah where is she? Where did she go?"

"She asked me not to tell you. Just like she asked you not to ask us."

Klaus shoots up from the bed, one tear streaming down his face.

"She just left! She just packer her things and left! And you helped her. Elijah if you don't tell me where she is right now, there is a dagger in that desk waiting for you!"

Elijah starts to become furious with his brother. He feels the anger start to bubble up in his chest.

"You did this Niklaus! You cheated on her. You lost her on your own. Don't blame me for things that you have done."

Klaus let's Elijah's words sink in. He realized that Elijah was right, it was his fault that she was gone. He also realized that he was wrong. Cheating on you was wrong. Lying to you was wrong. And now he's lost you. He lost the most important thing in his life.

"I've screwed up, I've really screwed up this time."

"That you have."