Strangers

This was a request by thevampirediaries_02 for a second part of What Happened.

⚠️Trigger Warning- slight mentions of
abuse⚠️

"Y/N he feels sorry for hitting you, at least let him talk to you about it."

"Does he even deserve that much though? I mean first he cheats on me and then when I bring it up he slaps me across the face? It doesn't make sense, Beks."

"Listen, I won't tell you why he did what he did, but he does have a pretty good reason if you just hear him out."

You sighed, looking at your Rebekah who continued to look forward as she took a sip of her coffee.

"Does that even do anything for you?"

"What?"

"The coffee."

"No, but it still tastes good."

"I'll go."

Rebekah's head snapped towards you as a huge grin spread across her face.

"But, you and Elijah have to be in listening distance and I'm not getting back together with him."

"Ok. As long as you and Klaus can be civil with each other and you can start coming back to the compound."

"No promises."

****

Forgiveness.

As defined in a dictionary, the word means the action or processor forgiving or being forgiven. You had been trying for months to forgive Klaus for what he had done, to make sense and peace of his actions in your own mind. However, no matter what situation you had imagined he could've been in, you couldn't find a good reason to forgive him.

You slowly walked into the compound, memories of the last time you were here flooding through your mind. That morning, you had walked into the compound with the biggest smile on your face not expecting the future.

You met with Klaus in the middle of the compound, no words being exchanged.

"Listen love-"

"Klaus."

You said in a warning tone. Your voice was harsh, as if daring him to continue.

"Don't call me that. Not anymore."

"Please, at least let me explain myself."

"That's what i'm here for."

He took a deep breath, looking around before his gaze settled on you.

"When I came home that night, I had just had a run in with the witches. They did something with my mind. They were messing with me. And it's the reason why I hit you. It's the reason why I kissed Camille. They were in charge of my mind."

"How can I know if that's true?"

"You'll have to trust me."

"I don't think I can do that anymore."

"I'm sorry that I hit you and I'm sorry that I kissed Camille but you have to believe me. It was the witches, I swear."

You started shaking your head in disbelief, tears threatening to fall.

"I can't be with you anymore."

"How can you say that? How can you just walk away so easily."

Tears welled up in his eyes and it hurt you to see him like that.

"Because every time I look at you, every time someone mentions your name, I'm hurt and scared. And I know this isn't what you want to hear or what you were hoping for, but I'm trying to be honest with you. After that night-' you took a deep breath, trying to stop your voice from cracking again 'I was hurt, physically and mentally for months. I had to overcome being cheated on and the fight."

You wiped the tear that fell from your eye, silently cursing yourself for it.

"Some part of me believes you. Some small part. But that doesn't mean that I can be intimate with you anymore."

"Fine."

"That's all your gonna say? Fine? I just put my heart out on the line here and your answer is fine."

"For months I have been kicking myself everyday over that night. For months I have been asking Rebekah and Elijah how you've been. For months I have been trying to figure out what the hell was wrong with me that would cause me to hit you. But for months I have been missing you. I have been waiting for you. But you can't be with me, so fine is the only real answer I have." 

"I'm sorry."

And in the end she realized no matter how much history they shared, there was never going to be a future between them. So now, they became what they were to start with-

Strangers.