Chapter 32 ~ Stop Throwing Dirt at Me! Practice Duel (1)

Somehow... No, I know how I got into this mess...

Because of Lawliela-sama's whims and that broccoli messing up, I ended up having to "fight" (read as "magical combat practice") Valerie's supposed capture target...

Lawliela-sama, Valerie-chan, the broccoli and I are now standing in one of the many training grounds in the palace. But, unlike the regular training grounds used by the royal knights and palace guards, it is a specialized facility specifically used for magical experiments.

The pure white walls here are all enchanted to decrease the damage done by magic as well as built specially to withstand explosions caused by magic, at least to a certain extent. The earthen grounds were also enchanted for extra protection. Though, if Lawliela-sama wanted to, she could probably blow this place up easily. After all, the enchantment technology right now isn't that advanced. But, it is still better than nothing.

I am now standing on the grounds, a few meters away from where the broccoli, no, Wilhelm was standing.

Unlike the stinky, boisterous brat from before, his expression was now that of a mage. Calm, cold, and calculative.

Now that he's quiet, I could see why he has fans supporting even though he's a pain most of the time.

Lawliela-sama and Valerie-chan were standing quite a distance away from us as I observed him silently.

I could hear Valerie-chan cheering for me (I swear I heard her say "You can beat that loner guy easily!!!), but I couldn't hear most of it as I fall deeper and deeper into thoughts.

As I concentrated on my mana flow and spells, I tried to remember his strengths.

Wilhelm was a prodigious young mage with a mana capacity on par with Alexus, meaning his mana capacity is only slightly lower than Valerie and mine.

He also has affinity to three elements, earth, wind, and shadow! He hasn't awakened his second and third element now, but I'm still at a disadvantage here.

The biggest problem for me is the element he has affinity with the most, earth. Though my ice could stand against it, it was a direct counter to my water, which practically halved my strength. I mean, everything I throw at him can be block by a stupid earth wall, and I wouldn't be able to defend against the rocks he threw at me with a wall of water.

That is simply common sense in magic, at least in a head-on fight.

Elemental affinity isn't everything. In reality, there would always be ways for water to break earth walls.

Like a landslide.

Buuuut, that'd be too dangerous so I wouldn't do that no matter how much he pissed me off.

Well... Maybe if he crossed some line. Kekeke~

Either way! Though I'm at a disadvantage, I have a way to use my ice and water magic against him.

I've practiced it before, but I've never actually tried it in a real duel. I've only shown it to Lu-nii as well, and when I asked him to practice fighting me, he refused. He said it'd be too much of a pain to deal with.

I know this will be the only way I would be able to fight against a magic nerd like this broccoli on equal grounds, and I don't want to lose!! I also don't want to disappoint my cute little friend who's cheering for me.

Besides, it'd look so cool! No, not the ice. Me. I'm excited to use it for a real battle too for the first time!!!

Seeing both of us concentrating, Lawliela-sama nodded in satisfaction and announced in a loud voice.