Chapter 46

Ariana's POV.

Sitting on the breakfast table I was thinking about last night. That secret space... what's inside it?

Why they were sneaking there at midnight?

I'm sure Mom Jennifer doesn't know about it either.

Playing with my food I was lost in my thoughts. The salad in my bowl seems so boring to eat.

I killed a carrot piercing it with my fork taking it to my lips and chewing it down my throat.

"Aana dear you seem lost." Alaric's Grandfather asked and I just forced a smile at him. When my smile didn't reach my eyes, he felt as if I was hiding something I had to cover it up," I was missing Mom." I lied and he looked at me and his smile deepened and he looked at Mom.

"Ask Jennifer till now she has gone to meet her mother and no one questions her and your mom lives in our neighborhood. You can go to her whenever you want." His words touched me. I felt happy.

God gifted me the best family!

I took a bite of my toast and stood up when finished.

I was going towards my room and saw Uncle Robert. I felt his presence suspicious nowadays. As if he has some dark secrets and he and Dad Samuel are on some secret mission they told no one about.

I waited for night to fall and waited for everyone to sleep. Laying on the bed with Belle who seemed in her deep sleep I could hear the sound of the clock ticking every moment and my heartbeat was increasing thinking what are they hiding behind that secret space?

Glancing at the clock, I noticed that it was 3 AM. Without disturbing Belle's peaceful slumber beside me, I confidently stretched out my arm and waved my hand in front of her face to determine whether it was safe to leave the room or not.

When she didn't react or move I slowly sat up and tiptoed towards the door. I turned my head and looked at her for one more time.

Biting my lips, carefully twisted the knob, not wanting to make any sound. I was feeling nervous.

My palm was sweating. I came out and left the door ajar as I had to come again without making any noise.

I steadily walked to the passage where the secret space was located. I looked everywhere making sure nobody was watching me. Clutching my phone tightly, I raised my hand to slide the hanging painting.

I saw a button and pressed it with my shivering fingers, the door opened in no time. I gulped my saliva and took a step forward. As soon as I came in the door closed making me jump in fear.

My stomach churned at the thought of getting caught by anyone.

It was dark but not dark enough to hide the tunnel. I took steps inside it and more darkness consumed me. Clenching my eyes closed I kept walking. My eyes opened and I saw a wooden door. It was vintage and looked like some old design. The door was broken and damaged a little. But I saw light coming out through a broken hole.

It had an old lock system which did not contain any key. I pushed a wood piece aside that had prevented the door from opening and opened it. Taking a deep breath I slowly pushed it open.

I gasped at the view. My heartbeat stopped when I saw there was a basement. But what surprised me was that it wasn't like any other basement.

I thinned my eyebrows in confusion and bit my lips. It was well built like a bedroom. There was no old furniture lying in there. No dust. No spider webs nothing. Everything was spotless.

I took some steps further and there were two options either right or left. I saw the bedroom located on the right side so I chose to explore what's on the left.