FIVE

Light's POV
It looks like a notebook. How bad could a notebook be? I opened it and noticed there are instructions on the inside front cover. Why would a notebook need instructions? This is definitely some kind of prank. The instructions read: "•the human whose name is written in this note shall die
•this note shall not take effect unless the writer has the persons face in their mind when writing his/her name. Therefore people sharing the same name will not be affected.
•if the cause of death is written within 40 seconds of writing the persons name it will happen.
•if the cause of death is not specified, the person will simply die of a heart attack.
•after writing the cause of death, details of the death should be written in the next 6 minutes and 40 seconds."
If this is a prank it is very well thought out and detailed. The only way to find out if it really is a prank, is to test it. If it isn't a prank, then testing it means that someone will die. I would be the one that killed them. What am I saying? It's not it's actually going to work. But just in case it does, I should write a criminal's name so I would be doing the world a favor. I turned on the television that's on my desk. The news was on. Perfect. I sat down in my chair and grabbed a pencil. Kurou Otoharada. I looked at the picture of his face on the television as I wrote his name on the first page of the death note, then sat back and waited. I looked at the clock, 15 seconds. This has got to be the longest 40 seconds of my life. I looked back at the T.V and nothing happened. 39 seconds. 40. Nothing happened. "Well it's not like I expected anything to happen anyway." I said to myself as I stood up and was about to turn off the television. Just as I stretched my arm to the off button the reporter said something I was least expecting.

"What's this? It looks like the hostages are exiting the building." He said surprised. What? How? No. It's just a coincidence. A notebook can't kill anyone. It's just not possible. "The hostages said that the criminal just dropped to the floor clutching his chest." The reporter at the scene said.

"That sounds like a heart attack to me." A reporter at the studio said. W-what. No. not possible. I- I killed a man. No. How could this happen. Well, at least it was a criminal. I flipped through the pages of the book and noticed there is more writing on the inside back cover. It read: "this note shall become the property of human world once it touches the ground of arrives in the human world
The owner of the note can recognize the image and voice of its original owner, ie a god of death
The human who uses this note can neither go to heaven nor hell"
God of death? But those are just a myth. They're not real. Right? Either way, this notebook could be useful. I can use it to rid this world of the bad people who deserve to die. I will create a new world with the people I have judged to be honest and hard working. I will be God of this new world. I just have to keep it a secret for now. If I talk too much I might say something I don't want to. But if I talk too little, (Y/n) would know there is something going on. (Y/n). She will be my queen in this new world. She will be mine.

"Light honey, come down for dinner!" My mother yelled sweetly up the stairs.

"Be right there, mom!" I yelled back as I put the death note in the top drawer in my desk and walked downstairs. I still need to see if anything is missing in the house. Should I tell mom and dad what happened? Maybe. I need to find out who that kid is. Do I need to kill him? He did break into my house after all. I'll worry about him later. Right now, I need to act normal, like I didn't just kill someone.